Pioneer DVD-R firmware bug

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Bundrick, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I just saw a report of a firmware bug in Pioneer DVD recorders and DVD-R drives which can cause damage to both the disc and the drive/recorder if you try to burn using one of the new 4x discs which will be hitting the market soon. Pioneer has firmware updates available for download.
    You can learn more about it at http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/
    But these days I'm wary of downloading updates. If you install Windows XP Service Pack 1 then you agree to give Microsoft a back door to your computer to make any further updates they see fit. So I'm wondering if Pioneer has anything up their sleeves with this urgent update.

2. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Thanks Wayne
    I'll add this to my "to do" list - I sure hope this one is "okay" to install [​IMG]
    I downloaded XP Service Pack 1 the other night - and maybe I shouldn't have [​IMG]

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

You're paranoid, Wayne. What benefit would Pioneer have to spy on your system or to gain some kind of back-door entry? [​IMG] Microsoft -- well -- they think that they have the right to do whatever the f**k they want. But I can't see where Pioneer would have any benefit to installing spyware. Besides, there are programs like Zone Alarm that can detect unauthorized port access on your system.
    I need to install that firmware myself. I've already installed previous DVR-A03 firmware, and it's a piece of cake.

4. Wayne Bundrick

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me. Maybe not back doors or spyware, but my concern is that Pioneer could sneak in some new copy control mechanism to start the New World Order of zero fair use and zero ownership, or the Digital Dark Age as we will come to call it.

Not that I use my A03 to pirate movies. I've burned only two movies on my A03, one is from one of my laserdiscs and the other I did for one of my coworkers, he has a rare VHS of a movie that isn't available on DVD because the studio folded. The rest of my DVD-Rs come from my video camera.

5. John_Berger

The burner has nothing to do with copy control when it comes to writing as far as I know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. My feelings won't be hurt. [​IMG]
    When it comes to encryption, that information is stored on the disc itself and is matched with the video files. This is why you cannot take the VOBs from a DVD and just burn them to a DVD-R - the key on DVD-Rs are different and will not match with the video files. The writer has no way that I know of to change these keys.
    When it comes to writing, DVDs are nothing more than ISO discs with a standardized directory structure. The writer has no way of knowing what might be a DVD or just a standard data disc, since DVD-R/W is just as capable of being a data archive mechanicsm as it is a movie. It receives data from the software and writes it.
    All of the things that you are afraid of can only be regulated through software at the current time, which is independent of the hardware function of the drive. Now, if you had to download the firmware and then were forced to get a special "patch" for the software in order to use said firmware, THEN I'd be concerned.
    Consider also that it is NOT in Pioneer's best interest to do something that will screw the consumer in such a fashion. They already have bad PR because of this overheating incident; they're not about to risk pissing customers off even more by implementing some kind of control mechanisms. Pioneer is not the only game in town, and there are plenty of competitors for pissed-off customers to go to.

6. Wayne Bundrick

The New World Order will come one little subtle step at a time. A firmware patch here, a software patch there, and then when all the pieces are in place the new regime begins and future patches will then start shutting off the old regime.

I get mad as hell when Microsoft Windows tells me I can only change the region on my DVD-ROM one more time, when I have never changed it. The next time I look at that properties page it will probably say I can't change the region any more.

I don't really think this firmware patch has support for the New World Order waiting to be activated by future software. I'm just wary. The Digital Dark Age is coming.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I made the mistake of installing Windows Media Player 9 Beta on my machine. Now it won't play 80% of my LAME-encoded VBR mp3s, and I CANNOT UNINSTALL IT. Arrrggh!

"Kill me. Kill me now".

8. Wayne Bundrick

I tried to install the firmware update but it wouldn't take.

But I know a thing or two about troubleshooting, and I had one good guess as to what was causing the update to fail. So I loaded my gun with my one bullet, took aim, fired, and ol' Trouble's head did 'splode in most spectacular fashion. Computers know better than to f*** with me.

Your mileage may vary, but I had to uninstall Intel Application Accelerator and revert to the plain Microsoft IDE driver in order to successfully run the firmware update. Then I reinstalled IAA.

Microsoft's not the only ones who like to come up with new things that cause old things to not work anymore.

Pioneer should add this information to their FAQ.

9. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Wayne,

10. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

1 word: Paxil

11. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Does anyone know the version number of the Firmware, after the update has been applied?
    The update isn't working for my Pioneer DVR-104.
    I am currently showing the following "device revision" number as 1.20. Is that the firmware number, and is that number current? Thanks.

12. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Woo, I just bought a DVR-105. Looks like I'm okay!

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

According to the corresponding knowledgebase article for the Mac:

14. John_Berger

For what it's worth, I updated my firmware to 2.00 and have had no problems at all with my DVR-A03.

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

DVD Genie only works on Windows's internal region code, not on the drive code

17. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hehe, I learned that the hard way years ago too. [​IMG]
    Glad you found the problem! [​IMG]