What's new

Pioneer DV563A vs Onkyo DVSP501 (1 Viewer)

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering these two players, Pioneer DV563A vs Onkyo DVSP501. My main consideration is Progressive Scan capabilities.

The Onkyo would compliment my NR900 and allow for automatically switching to the DVD input on the NR900 when the 501 powers on.

The Pioneer offers SACD and DVD-Audio.

I would like to hear comment as to the Progressive Scan abilities of each player as well as the quality of each.

Thanks for any input.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
The Onkyo would...allow for automatically switching to the DVD input on the NR900 when the 501 powers on.
I can't help you with the specific info you're looking for, but this doesn't seem like a good enough reason to chose the Onkyo player.

With a universal remote and macros, you could easily accomplish the same thing with any DVD/receiver combo.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
JohnA: If you're into surround/high resolution stereo music, then the Pioneer is the only way to go. Be aware though that a surround music system is not set up exactly the same way as an HT system. But surround music--done properly--for many people is a really exciting experience.

LJ

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
LanceJ

I do not plan to purchase SACD or DVD-A discs anytime soon.

The Onkyo caught my attention because of the positive things I have read about it's image quality. An added incentive, but certainly not the decision maker, is it's ability to integrate seamlessly with the NR900.

I came across the Pioneer and see it has the ability to play SACD and DVD-A at the same price point. This has me wondering if the Pioneer plays movies as well as the Onkyo.

Image quality being equal, The Pioneer would be given the edge with it's SACD/DVD-A ability over the Onkyos ergonimic advantages in use with the NR900.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Great video presentation has always been a Pioneer forte.
Others like Onkyo, are 'now' in the same league. So why not enjoy high res audio with no drop in video quality?

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
DaleBesh

My first introduction to high end video was a Pioneer CLD703 modified by Danby Radio to add DD out (AC-3 back then).

It is good to hear Pioneer still has a solid reputation.

-JohnA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks