Pioneer DV47ai vs. Denon 2900 vs. Denon 2200 vs. Rotel RDV1050

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by NghiaTran, Mar 11, 2004.

1. NghiaTran

NghiaTran Agent

Hello fellow forum members. I am in a dilemma and I need your expertise. I am torn between these four players and I cannot make up my mind. I just want to make the right decision. All these players I can probably get for about the same price. I just found the Pioneer 47ai for $550 and I think it is a hell of a deal. I have been told that the performance of the Denon 2200 and 2900 is so close that it is not worth the extra hundred bucks to buy the 2900. And a local home theater store told me that they liked the Rotel better than the Denon 2200. So many conflicts in opinions that I have to turn to you folks here. I need an unbiased opinion with people who has experiance with these players to help a newbie make a decision that he wont regret. Right now, Im really leaning towards the Pioneer just for overall for the deal that I will get although I havent heard much about it. Their has been great commotion over the Denon 2200 though. So, would someone please kindly give me a polite "push" to the right direction. Thanks in advance.

BTW....I am using the Panasonic rp-82 right now. Do you think I will be see or hear a difference? The panasonic has great video but I dont know how it compares in the audio department.

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Nghia,
    Refer to this post:

2900 vs 1600(RP82)

In it I compare the video performance of the 2900 and the 1600 a little bit, with my tastes being with the 1600 (same video section as the RP82/XP30/XP50), as I thought that the 2900 was a little bit softer/less focused than the 1600, and I saw a hint of the chroma bug on the 2900, too. However, my Brother has the 2200, and he likes the video performance of the over his 1600 (which he just sold) and the 2900 (which he demoed). I have heard that some other people also prefer the video performance of the 2200 over the 2900, so unless you want the (theoretically) better audio performance of the 2900, or a better platform for mods, then I would get the 2200.
    However, if you are not interested in having a universal player, I would suggest either the 1200 or 910, as they use the Faroujda chip, and would perform on par (or possibly better) than the older Faroujda-based players, maybe due to a newer MPEG decoder.
    As for the Rotel, I have not seen the video on this unit, but I can't see how it would be any better than that on any of the Denon units. I could see the audio being better, though, as Rotel players tend to have a warmer/more natural sound, while the Denon sound is a little more precise and exact, but then again, that depends on your sonic tastes.
    In terms of DVD-A performance, any of the higher Denon units (2200 and above), you will hear a differnce in DVD-A performance. I compared the 1200 to my 1600, and I couldn't hear a differnce, while the 2900 was noticeably better in DVD-A than my 1600. Hope this helped

3. NghiaTran

NghiaTran Agent

Yes, it did help and thank you for your response. I doubt that the video quality is better than my Rp-82(superb video). My main reason of this upgrade is only if it warranted better cd quality and better audio when watching movies. DVD-A and SACD are of lesser importance. Anyone with comments on the Pioneer would be greatly appreciated.