Pioneer dv47a vs 45a

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Harris, Nov 26, 2002.

1. David Harris

David Harris Stunt Coordinator

I am comp shopping these units and am looking for oppinions and or facts, (Pioneer dv47a vs dv45a) My main concern is sound quality, The dv-38a is also a contender, Although not a multiformat player, tweeter is closing out the 38a for $722...All suggestions valued, Ps the suggested players dont have to be Pioneer, I am looking for the best sounding unit from the $500-$900 range tnx 73

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, since you are open to suggestions, also consider the Sony DVP-NS999ES (SACD, no DVD-Audio), Yamaha DVD-S2300 (universal player), and Onkyo DV-SP800 (universal player). All three offer progressive-scan output, and you should be able to find all three at the upper end of your price range through discount mail-order dealers. Admittedly, I have not used any of these players yet, but they are models I would be considering if I were in your position. I don't believe the Yamaha player is out quite yet, but it should be soon. For more information on the Sony and Onkyo players, check www.crutchfield.com . Discount dealers to look into are J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), OneCall (1-800-340-4770), and Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). All three are authorized dealers, but they may not have all three models.
    Another player to consider is the Philips DVD-963SA, which looks to be loaded for just $500 list. Unfortunately, it won't be out until early 2003. J&R Music World is taking pre-orders for $400. There has been a lot of talk here, so do a search. In short, the '963SA will offer progressive-scan output (latest Faroudja deinterlacer), SACD, and upsampling of CDs to 24/192. It looks to offer a lot for the money. Hopefully it will deliver.

3. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

David,

This one's a no-brainer. Get the Pioneer 47Ai for around $800. Pioneer's industry standard implementation of Sony's iLink is pretty compelling. Full rate bitstreams over the digital cable for both SACD and DVD-Audio. When connected to a processor with Pioneer's PQLS master clocking system (ie. 49TXi), the bitstream is jitterless. As DSD-DSPs are developed and deployed in the next generation of processors, bass management and time alignment can be applied for SACD sources totally in the digital domain. Makes a bunch of sense to me to "demote" universal players into transports with the processing concentrated and optimized in the pre/pro or receiver. Good luck with your search.

Austin

4. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone else expand on the differences between the 45 & 47?

5. David Harris

Tnx for the replies, maybe these players are too new to get real feedback..

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, regarding "real feedback", have you tried a search here? The '45A, '47A, and '47Ai have all been discussed here quite a bit, so a search should prove helpful. The iLink is a nice feature, but definitely evaluate the '47Ai on the basis of audio and video performance. Note that at present, the iLink connection only works with the flagship Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi receiver, so I wouldn't consider the this feature to be a signficant factor. Just my opinion.

One thing I don't like about the '45A, '47A, or '47Ai is the build quality. I feel they are rather flimsy given the asking prices. That doesn't mean they are not worthy contenders in terms of performance, but I feel that Pioneer could have done better in the construction department. Again, just my opinion.

7. David Harris

I picked up the dv45a today, It is a nice match for my vsx45tx, I feel they compliment each other well, I am very pleased with the sound quality, the build quality could be a little beefier,but i dont have any complaints with its overall performance, sound quality as compared to my sony dvp nc-650v is really night and day, the 45a wins hands down, but i am not exactly comparing apples to apples, I dont see any video differences thus far, but this may be because mt tv doesn't work with the progressive scan, I based my final decision of 45a v7ai on another thread where
    someone stated (I need a 400 cd universal player) he's right.....so i saved a few hundered bucks, got an nice player that will get me by for a year or two...tnx for all the advise tnx....dharris

8. Peter Mason

Peter Mason Auditioning

I just purchased the DV-45A and can tell you that the DVD players progressive video, SACD and DVD-Audio outputs are excellent. I cannot believe the DV-47A could be any better at twice the price.

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'll let you know. [​IMG] I have a 45a, and I came across a deal on a 47ai I just couldn't refuse, so it's on the way. But to be honest, if I hadn't come across the great deal on the 47ai, I would have been perfectly happy with the 45a.
    I got to be honest, out of the last 5 years worth of components I've run through my system, I've had absolutely no complaints with the performance of the 45a, and that's rare for me. (I can find something wrong with just about anything... Just ask me about the 950 and hiss, Vandersteen 2CE Sigs and no banana plug inputs, Equitech 2Q with excellent performance but at a back-breaking 65 lbs, Tascam DA-40 and only a wired remote, BFD 1124 and the stupid turn-on pop, etc, etc... [​IMG] )