Pioneer DV440 discontinued??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by simi bains, Feb 12, 2002.

1. simi bains

simi bains Auditioning

I went to my local electronics retailer and the sales guy told me that they are going to discontinue DV 440. Is there any truth to this?? because i really wanted to buy this player.

Which brings me to my second question. Should i get the Dv 440 or 444 or something else??

I have a Pioneer Elite SD 3670 52" projection. Bout 5 years old, so it probably can't take advantage of progressive scan or any other goodies. I'm gonna wait till it packs it in. Then get a good HDTV one.

But anyways, what player should I get? I play CDR's, VCD, SVCD's .. that's about it. Thanks!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I can't see why Pioneer would discontinue the '440 already. Best Buy only got it in around Christmas, and Crutchfield maybe got it in a month or so before that. It is a new player. On the other hand, Pioneer did not market the DV-343, the predecessor to the '440, for too long. I don't know why they discontinued the '343 so soon. Still, I feel it's too early to phase out the '440. It's not like it is known to be buggy. As far as I know, it is a very solid performer. So, I expect it to be available for awhile.

In its price range, the '440 is as good as anything out there in my opinion. Some people here have said that its user interface for MP3-encoded CDs is better than the one on the comparably priced Panasonic DVD-RV31. For under $200, the '440 would be my choice. The '444 may give you better video quality, but I'm not sure that the difference would be staggering. The '444 seems to be a bit harder to find than the '440. If you were going to look into the '444 for around $250, I would also look at the Panasonic DVD-RA60. It is an interlaced player, but it also plays DVD-Audio discs, which sound better than CDs. Panasonic players offer excellent video quality.

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I checked out many stores looking for the Pioneer 440 before I finally found one. It was the last one the retailer had in stock. While talking to the owner of the store he mentioned that he had just gotten back from some Pioneer 'show'. He told me that before Christmas Pioneer had way too many of the 440 so they offered a discount to the retailers to clear the stock. But what happened was that the retailers just bought them up so Pioneer Canada had none left. He said it would be another two months before they would be getting any more in stock.

4. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I've noticed that Pioneer likes to change their low end model quite a bit. Probably to keep them "fresh" in the public's eyes.

5. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

6. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Is it just me, or is the Canadian DVD player market in a bit of a low supply?

I called a few Futureshops today, and no one had either the Pioneer 440 or Panasonic RV31.

The rep at the store I visited said the warehouse stock showed a -56 for the RV31,

so they'll probably get some in within the next two weeks. I asked about the 440, and he said he's not sure if they're getting anymore.

I'd prefer a Panasonic RA60, but he never heard of them.

I doubt they're even available in Canada.

7. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I just ordered the DV440 a couple of weeks ago online. It came yesterday. I'm out of town so I haven't set it up yet. I pulled the trigger on this because it was $169.00 and free shipping (no tax as well because the e-tailer is in New York). [​IMG]

8. simi bains

simi bains Auditioning

$169 USD = about 268.99 CAD at an exchange rate of 1.59.

Hmm, i wonder if i can order that. the dv440 goes for about $299 canadian.

I get charged tax at the border right? Or does it come straight to my house without me having to pay duty?

9. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

10. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Yeah, there's a duty tax on DVD/LD players. It's based on the claimed value.
    Last year, I won an auction for a CLD-9000 for $40 US.
    The taxes and other UPS charges added up to about $40 CDN. [​IMG]
    If I remember correctly, it was $18 for taxes, and $20 in random UPS charges (I think they have to open the box at the border).
    And that was on top of the regular shipping fee.
    I haven't used UPS since. USPS doesn't charge to look at your shipment.
    UPS lets you pay it at your door, and with USPS, you can pay it when you pick it up from the post office.
    (I haven't used FedEX).

11. simi bains

simi bains Auditioning

then it's probably not worth the hassle and wait. Plus the borders are pretty tight right now as they are. Especially up on the West Coast.

I'd rather pay the extra 20-30 dollars and get it right here on the spot.

Thanks for the link!

12. Bill Geiger

Bill Geiger Second Unit

I saw the Pioneer at Best Buy here in the Philadelphia area for 169.92.

13. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

heads up! Best buy is starting to receive shipments of the Panasonic DVD-RP32! This unit decodes WMA files as well as MP3 and had a new style remote and new stlye face. Pretty nice, and the price is only 149.99 this week!

14. simi bains

simi bains Auditioning

I already bought the Pioneer DV 440. [​IMG]
    I used a SVIDEO cable from my DVD player to my TV. Ohh man does that look good. Even though the player is not progressive scan, it doesn't matter because my tv isn't even equipped to handle it. It still blows VHS out of the water.
    Now.. hmm, what should i do with my old LD's?!
    I was kinda swayed towards the pioneer because i thought that the pioneer RP series wasn't very attractive.
    Yes, I was sold on it's sleek design.
    :b
    However, it plays everything i throw at it.
    Anyways, great, solid player. Well worth the money. Looks good too [​IMG]

15. AlexO

AlexO Auditioning

So where can one get the DV-440 in Canada?

16. simi bains

simi bains Auditioning

On the west coast you can get it from A&B Sound, Visions, Futureshop, London Drugs.

I'm not sure about the East coast. If they have those stores, they will carry them as well.

17. AlexO

AlexO Auditioning

18. simi bains

simi bains Auditioning

I know for SURE that futureshop sells that model in store. I'm not sure why they do not offer it online. They do that with some of their products for some reason.

I'm sure that Ontario must have big box electronic chains that carry that model. Pioneer products are quite mainstream.

Not even a big box store. You should be able to find a retailer in a suburb or something.

19. Edmundo Lopez

Edmundo Lopez Auditioning

Is it true that this player is region free? I read it at audioreview from a person that bought it at Best Buy.

Thanks in advance for your help

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Edmundo, I can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt that the '440 as sold at Best Buy is region-free. Region-free players are uncommon in the US, and manufacturers rarely include this feature. Maybe some people know how to "clip" players to disable region restrictions, however. In any event, region-free players are far more common overseas.