1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer DV37 DVD vs. ...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth Lee, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Kenneth Lee

Kenneth Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,
    I'm helping a friend of mine setup his place and I need some advice:
    He has a HDTV-ready Panasonic Tau TV. He wants a short-term DVD player NOW, and will save up for a Progressive Scan DVD player ("the best one" later after all the dust settles from the DVD Shootout II and the Kenwood big boys roll in).
    In MEANTIME (for now), he wants something quick and dirty:
    * Pioneer DV-37 Progressive Scan DVD player. There are issues with this player, such as imperfect flag reading, etc.
    Or
    * Pioneer DV-626 Non-Progressive DVD player. Again, he doesn't care about it since the real DVD player he's getting will be in a few months.
    The main fear he has is if a "crappy flag reader" Progressive DVD player (DV37) is bad, it might make NON-Progressive DVD's look really bad.
    Thus, his choice for a NON-Progressive Player like a basic, solid, Pioneer DVD-626.
    I tried explaining it to him, but realize it'd be better asking all the experts here first [​IMG].
    Any thoughts or help would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Ken

2. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

I've got the next model up the Pioneer Elite DV-38A & it gives a great picture. I haven't noticed any problems with "imperfect flags" or "chroma problems". I think it gives a great picture & have had countless hours of enjoyment. It has the same video function as the DV-37. I give it a definite thumbs up.

3. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest your friend look at the RP91 over the DV-37.

4. Kenneth Lee

Kenneth Lee Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your help!
    If anyone has more suggestions on the situation -
    * If the Pioneer DV37 DVD player's "bad flag reading" is that bad, then he should just go with a non-Progressive player until the dust settles from this fall's new lineup (Phillips, Kenwood, etc.).
    please send'em.
    Thanks!

5. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Have your friend demo a DV-37. I have had the DV-38A for about 4 months now & I've as yet to see any problems with the player. I love the picture that it provides. I don't see the chroma bug. There's a lot of people on this forum that don't see the chroma bug. I don't see any problem with "bad flags" either. I've been extremely happy with my player & have had no problems. The video is excellent. If you have a chance have him demo the player. The best way to buy equipment is not to take someone's advice on it, demo it yourself & see what you think.