What's new

Pioneer DV-C503 DVD Player: Who's got one, and are you happy with it? (1 Viewer)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Hi kids,
Rarely, I mean rarely post over here, but I need to borrow some of your collective expertise.
Here's the scoop: Panny A-300 died after 4+ years of faithful, rigorous service and I need to replace it.
I see a local retailer who has the Pioneer DV-C503 5 disc player on sale this week and I just want to know if this is a reliable machine. I don't want to buy something that is a known glitch-erama player (like the old Pan A-110s for instance).
Anyone got one, or familiar with it?
Thanks in advance.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
My girlfriend picked up a 'C503 a few months ago for $220 at a local Costco at my recommendation, and she is very pleased with it. I too am impressed it the picture and build quality for the price. It's a solid buy. However, you might want to look at some of the budget DVD-Audio and DVD/SACD players that are or will be out soon. Many of them offer progressive scan video output, which even if you don't need now, you may want in the future. Check www.crutchfield.com for a good listing of these players.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I own the DV-C302 (the older 3 disc version) and my parents got the DV-C503 based on my recommendation. I believe they are great. I love mine especially. My parents have said that the 503 is good, but don't mess with electronics as much as I do. CDR's, CDRW's, SVCD's, VCD's, etc. What more could you ask for? (MP3, but they aren't real reliable in DVD players and are rather picky about bitrate info). I believe, at least at the Best Buy's in the OKC area, that we are currently selling this DVD player for $199.

JorgeN

Grip
I don't know about the Pioneer, but the Panasonic CV51 is pretty damn good. The video and audio seem to be better than the Toshiba 4109x that it replaced, although I hate not having the zoom feature or the time remaining feature. When it comes to playing movies, CD-Rs, and what-have-you, the player is really good!! It is a 5 disc carousel, and I also thought about the Pioneer that you are interested in. The only reason I did not get it was that a lot of people complained about the FF and REV feature and the remote control.
I know buying a DVD player is becoming a bigger chore with each unit that is marketed, but ultimately you make the decision by yourself! Your best bet is to get the player from a store where you can return it if you don't like it. A store such as Best Buy is very good at that!!
Good luck!

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the advice guys.
I bought it today. I can return it no questions asked for up to 30 days. So far, so good, but I do have issues with the remote. I got pretty used to the Panasonic "joy stick" type remote. I suspect I'll get used to it though; it's just a matter of learning it by touch, so I don't have to turn on lights to see what I'm doing.
Off to put it through its paces!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at the Pioneer DV-C503 but I bought the Panasonic DVD-CV51 because it plays MP3's on CDRW and CDR'S. I like it. It works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks