Pioneer DV-59AVi for under $500, should I jump all over this?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Carlo Medina, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Okay, I have a relative who works for a Pioneer affiliate and can get me a unit for under $500 (and no, sorry I can't field requests for purchases for you guys [​IMG] ).

I have a Panny RP91 player currently that I wish did better flag detection and had less combing artifact. I also like the fact that the 59AVi does DVD-A and SACD as I only have one set of 5.1 inputs this would allow me to stop switching back and forth between my two current players (Sony SACD changer which would be moved back to the bedroom).

So my question is: for $500 is the 59AVi as unbeatable as it sounds? Any weaknesses? I don't have HDMI or iLink yet, but may in the future. Would its picture be better through component than my RP91? Will it do its 1080i upconversion through component or HDMI only?

Thanks!

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I don't even need it (I have 3 systems) and I'd jump all over it for $500. Unless you're going to go with something a Marantz 9500 or separate players like a Sony XA-9000ES for SACD and something else for DVD-A, I don't see many things in the near term that will be as good at that price point. The others I noted would be much more costly.

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yeah, this would be a "no brainer" for me.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That price is very good. It gets very high marks for its HDMI video quality output.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I guess my question is: would there be an improvement in sound and picture over my current setup to justify $500? Basically what the 59AVi would do is replace my 2 players with one so I don't have to plug and unplug cable to listen to DVD-A and SACD. My current players:

Panasonic RP91 : DVD and DVD-A
    Sony DVP-NC??? : SACD - forgot the model #, it's last year's 5 DVD/SACD changer that was $149 in stores.

I feed my RP91 via component video into my 5 year old Panasonic 47" HDTV.

Would the 59AVi
    1) Give a better picture through component than my RP91? This includes all aspects, better de-interlacing, better picture, etc.
    2) Would the DVD-A part sound better than the RP91, who although was lauded as a DVD-A player, is nearly 5 years old?
    3) Would the SACD part sound better than my mass-market Sony DVD/SACD changer from last year?

I already know it would make my life easier by not having to plug-n-unplug my components, but I'm not sure that alone is worth $500. However if the answers to all 3 above are YES, that would probably be worth it. That, along with future-proof things like HDMI and iLink.

Thanks!

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Carlos, maybe I can help you out here. Buy the Pioneer and send it to me for testing. I'll let you know how good it is. [​IMG]

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I can only tell you what I think I know. [​IMG]

I think "yes" for all of the above. It was the RP-82 that is the legendary Panasonic for component video quality. The RP-91 didn't do that well at all:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

It's best score is a 60. The Pioneer gets an 88 for HDMI and an 80 for component.

As far as audio quality, personally, I haven't really seen anyone complain about the Pioneer for any of CD, DVD-A, and SACD. Personally, and I've been buying Pioneers for years, I think they do a really nice job with their analog output stages. They usually choose Burr Brown DACs, and Pio players always test really well for jitter (always < 250 psec. < 200 is excellent, 500 is OK, and > 1000 isn't very good at all, according to Stereophile here, and HCC and HFC in the UK.)

I think you'll see and hear an improvement in all cases. At the very least, I don't believe you will be sacrificing anything at all.