What's new

Pioneer DV-59Ai: Does anyone have...? (1 Viewer)

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Does anyone have any links, a spec sheet, or anything like that for this upcoming player? I'd like to be able to compare it specwise to the Denon DVD-5900, but I can't seem to find the proper info.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I can say that the Pioneer will have to be without flaws and pretty incredible to beat my 5900. The picture quality on the 5900 is way better then the 3800 and the 2900... And those 2 were well known performers!

The 5900 is giving serious flagship performance here...

Video is top-notch. Audio is awesome.

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Hey folks,

No chroma bug would be great Kevin! And thanks for the link to the press release Doug. I know I had seen that somewhere, and I just couldn't find it again. Deciding between these two players will be difficult. I have the Pioneer DV-47Ai, and it seems to be that the Denon DVD-2900 is mostly a sidestep, but the 5900 and the 59Ai seem like they are real upgrades.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Previous Elite models were less then stellar performers on video especially for the money they cost.They last two combi players had all sorts of design issues with their BM,so there is alot to fix in this model if they wanna compete with Denon.Layer change is another thing,it may not be a big deal to some but once you get acustomed to "no layer change"[Denon] you will wonder how you "lived without it".
One things for sure Elite players are "prettyer".

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Lewis- Be careful. :)

I agree that the Pioneer Elites have had video problems according to Secrets, but they have always been favorably reviewed in most of the HT mags. Remember, Home Theater even gave the 47ai product of the year last year. And remember that Secrets themselves say that their tests are designed to highlight small differences between players. As far as BM, the 45a and 47ai do it almost correctly, except for some Chesky DVD-A 4.0 discs.

And, there is one poster on AVS that actually has a 5900 in his possession who said that if you engage BM for SACD on the 5900, the 5900 converts from DSD to PCM. The 45a and 47ai do not do that.

Now, with that being said, I will be the first one to be extremely happy if Pioneer brings out a 59AVi that is more like the older DV-09, and DV36/37 in terms of build quality. :D

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Overall I'm pretty happy with the DV-47Ai. In fact, I feel that its build quality is solid (although I wasn't used to things like the DV-09 when I got it). The multi-channel BM issues are only a minor annoyance. What really gets me, and my wife especially, are the layer changes. I think that the DV-47Ai has a miserable layer change that really interrupts the flow of the movie; I really dislike it. So I'm definitely going to wait on hearing the real world comparisons of these two before ponying up the moolah, but I've also always been a Pioneer guy and I really have a soft spot for their stuff.... I don't know why either, but it would probably make for an interesting session for me and my therapist! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks