What's new

Pioneer DV-578A (1 Viewer)

Doug Z

Stunt Coordinator
Well finally I got my internet hooked up after my move and was itchin' to get back on the forum and tell everyone about the great deal on the 578A-S but I see you all have 10 pages of chat!! I picked one up at my local BB for $99.00 on clearance and can say it is so far the best 99 bones I've spent. I am on the edge on the Denon 2910 or 3910 and this was going to be the player to hold me over, but the PQ is awesome on my RP so I'm going to hold out for quite some time now. For all you RP owners who need the progressive scan this thing works very well.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Ok I just got this player as a floor model clearance at Best Buy ($80). I only have one DVD-A and now one SACD. The player plays CD's, SACD's DVD's fine but when I play DVD-A's it distorts the audio when it changes from one track to the next if I click back to the start of the track its fine. The DVD-A is Blue Man Group: Audio. So is my player bad? Is BMA:Audio just incompatiable? Or is there a firmware upgrade or something? I mean it works fine unless it naturally changes tracks. Thanks in advance. If my player is bad im taking it back ASAP and ordering one online for $130 before they dissapear for ever.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I read a review by a trusted person in HT online. dont have the link. said the 563a was a much better player for sacd/dvd-a and that the 578 was betterd' for video but the internals for audio were changed and are of much less quality than the 563a. thought it was interesting. I have not had a problem with my $70 563a and plays all the sacd's I own.

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
Awesome machine guys. No clicking problems in DVD-A or SACD mode. Don't let Home Theater Mag's review put you off about lack of bass response. This unit sounds great and was a black Friday steal (I mean "deal") for $50 at Best Buy in Allentown,PA. No box, no remote, no AC cord, NO PROBLEM. Radio Shack had the AC cord and my One-For-All remote had the IR code(s).

I just played ELP Brain Salad Surgery for the bass and effects workout and this machine did not dissapoint connected thru my Denon AVR-1802 receiver & Adcom GFA-555II amp. Also, I tried out Elton John's debut album to see how the machine dealt with more intimate settings. Another job well done.

Video performance was stellar via prog-scan outputs.

Next up DSOTM SACD, Eagles Hotel Califronia DVD-A, Rumours, Harvest, Fragile, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

All in all, a busy weekend ahead!

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
Got mine for fifty bucks on Black Friday at Best Buy. I am happier than a pig-in-you-know-what.

The unit plays all my DVD's flawlessly, and DVD-A, SACD, & mp3's work and sound fine. I run full range towers & a 15" sub in my system so Bass management as was notd in earlier posts is not an issue to me.

I would love to connect a 2 channel tube amp to this machine strictly for 2 channel Hi Res DVD-A or SACD audio.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
I need to bring this thread back to life.

Pioneer introduced their DV-588A-S at CES and it is planned for release in April for $199 US.

Basically, its now in league with the 575A (European model) that was released last year along with the 578A (US/Canada) by offering DivX and WMA support.

I'm glad I waited and held on to my 563A a little longer because I liked the 575A more than the 578A and now I get it in the 588A with NTSC and a US warranty.

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/ima...61287020343936

Brent W

Auditioning
Has anyone else tried the Dr. Chesky's DVD-A with this player?
I got distortion from the rear speakers even when I switched to SMALL on the players speaker settings.

stevie ray

Auditioning
I'm also looking at this model but after looking at the cables needed to hook-up it up at Best buy(almost as much as the player costs 100$) I just don't know. Was this for real or are there cheaper cable options? Steve

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Huge can or worms....

Just get three pairs of garden variety interconnects, and a decent optical cable. No need to spend $100 on cables, although many feel otherwise.

I personally use low-end Phoenix gold, and a Dayton optical (from Parts express). All togther, well under $25 for the lot.

Once you hear music you like, well done in hi-rez MC, the cost of the cables will quickly fade from memory.

BGL

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
Brian L, no can of worms to me. I used two sets of inexpensive interconnects I got from the local Radio Shack just because they were different colors, i.e. red, yellow, green, black, etc. I got two sets to use my Outlaw ICBM between the Pioneer and my receiver. SACD and DVD-Audio still sound awesome in my opinion - better than CD with my receiver's additional processing.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Hey Wesley, how goes it? I seem to recall your name from some previous uni-player threads.

In case I was not clear, my "can or worms" comment was directed towards the debate about high $$$$ cables (which I stay the heck away from!), not the benefit of hi-rez MC.

I have gotten more enjoyment from the MC discs I own than any other music in my collection. I hope Stevie takes the plunge...I bet he will not regret it.

Cheers,

BGL

stevie ray

Auditioning
Stevie Ray took the plunge :D
Thanx to all for the cable info. I'm glad I didn't deny myself Dark side of the moon in mch. I'm just getting into the home theater thing and this site has been a blessing.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wesley:

Where'd you get the pic of the 588 and do you have any links to sites with more info.? An admittedly quick look at Pio's site didn't turn up info. on that piece . . .

-p

PeterDI

Grip
Just got a floor model 578 at BB for fifty bucks. So far so good. It did not come with a remote but my Harmony can handle it. Also I have a 1014 and the remote for that works it as well. Now, anyone know where I can get a manual? I can get it from Pioneer but it will cost 12 bucks. $3.41 for the manual, $5 for shipping and a 2.50 handling fee. Sheesh!

Also where and what kind of 5.1 cable can I get for the SACD and DVD A capabilities. I am loathe to pay the outrageous cost for these at BB for the Monster brand. These guy know me well and they have admitedn they make a killing on cables. Thanks!!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
AR, Dayton Audio, Rat Shack, or anything you have lying around....no need to spend stupid money (ie. Monster prices or higher) on interconnects.

BGL

PeterDI

Grip
I went into my box of tricks and I have plenty of cables. So all I need is six audio video cables to do this hook up for the SACD DVD-A? Can I use the yellow wire or is that really video specific?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks