What's new

Pioneer DV-578A (2 Viewers)

Mike__P

Grip

I have 2 SACD's and 1 DVD-A, all of which I have been listening to a lot, almost entirely in MC mode.

In the player set up, I have all speakers set to small (I assume that means BM is on.)

I have heard no pops between tracks (I assume you're using "tracks" to mean "cuts of music" on the disc) on either format since I've owned the (578) player -- but then I haven't been in 2-channel mode very much.

If there's a specific test you would like me to do on some other configuration, I would be more than happy to do it this evening (I'm in Maryland). Just let me know exactly what relevant initial/audio settings in the player setup are important to you, and what flavor of output (digital? MC 2 channel analog, MC mixdown, L/R aux analog channel, etc., etc.) are important for me to monitor.

-- Mike

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Thanks Mike,

Yeh, in multichannel there's no pops. It's only when having the player configured for 5.1 output, using BM with all speakers set to small and subwoofer on. Then choosing the DVD-Audio "Stereo" track, no multichannel/surround. Then playing the music through the 5.1 analog connections.

The pop isn't a cut out but a very quiet pop when the player skips tracks or even plays them continuous. The pop is always in-between the tracks. Under normal listening conditions it's very hard to hear, but if your like me, and like to open up a system a bit, you'll hear the pops. They sound just like pops from an album. It's only in the configuration I've explained. With no BM, the pops disappear on "Stereo" DVD-Audio tracks. With other format as LPCM, PPCM 5.1 DVD-Audio, and Dolby Digital 5.1, I hear no pops with BM On or Off.

I haven't tried SACD discs but from the review I've linked to on the other post, the gentleman was listening to SACD and heard these same pops. I'm thinking he was listening to SACD "Stereo" tracks with the BM on and with all speakers set to small and the subwoofer on. He heard this on 2 different players. It's for this reason, I think this is normal for this player, but I'd like to confirm it with people I actually converse with than just a review I've read.

Thanks for helping me out.:)

Have a good one.

Mike__P

Grip
OK, FWIW:

With all speakers set to small, sw on (thus, BM on), and 5.1 output selected:

DVD-Audio:

(1) Selecting the 5.1 High-Rez track, MC mode (my normal configuration) I hear no "pop's".

(2)Selecting the 2.0 Hi-Rez track, I do indeed hear a little "pop" or "click" or two between tracks. I assume this is what you're referring to. It's definitely there but pretty subtle. Doesn't bother me at all.

(3)Sure enough, if I go back and set all speakers to large, SW on (BM off), the pop goes away.

SACD:

(1)I tried both SACD discs I own, could not come up with any configuration or mode that would yield a similar "pop."

Let me know if there's anything else you want to compare.

I read the guy's post who was complaining on the link you provided -- he apparently had SACD "pop's" in MC mode! That's certainly not the case with me, but my "pop's" are pretty darn subtle -- I can't believe he got so hot under the collar and stomped back to return his player for this!?

-- Mike

Mike Up

Supporting Actor

My feelings exactly. Thanks again, I know now not to be concerned. I tend to be anal about the little things. This wasn't so much the noise, just if it should do it or not.

Have a good one.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member

Yes. And I think a discussion for/against the center channel too and both were informative but headache-inducing threads.

Those types of discussions always remind me of all those quad recordings sitting in vaults somewhere, just waiting to be transferred to digital form. Maybe if they did, the disc's packaging could include an optic-orange sticker indicating the need for bass management OR speakers reaching to at least 60Hz for "acceptable playback quality"? Too techie maybe? This situation would be perfect for the DTS-CD format: IMO it sounds good; practically everyone with an HT system has DTS decoding capability & with that of course, b.m. capability if that user needs it; no multiple-royalty issues; easy playback on a mobile surround system; and operates just like a CD.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I think it also bears mention that many audiophiles and feature film sound designers would argue that music recording/reproduction and film sound are two horses of very different colors.

There's a whole magazine and community dedicated to the lionization and pursuit of The Absolute Sound. Amongst other things, this community's arguments might include citing that we do indeed know what a symphony orchestra sounds like and that that should serve as a sonic reference. Some might even argue that it's inappropriate for recording engineers/producers to make "artistic decisions" that don't comport with this ideal.

On the other hand, feature film sound design is largely artifice designed to heighten dramatic impact and suspension of viewer disbelief. Doing this well may or very well may not have anything to do with the sonic verisimilitude prized by some in some quarters of the music recording/reproduction community.

Put another way, I don't think Gary Rydstrom has been in his Mercedes SUV during a t-rex attack such that he knew how to make that scene sound. :)

-p

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator

I've been through a bad batch of Pioneer DV-578's too, but I'm determined to get one that works without flaws.

The first one I purchased from Crutchfield was manufactured in June 2004 and was firmware 1.38. It skipped at random on most of the DVD-Audio discs I own. Just slight 1/2 second skips, and never able to repeat the skips at the same point in time. However, it skipped quite badly on the Hi-Rez stereo tracks of Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go". It was unlistenable once you hit the 25 to 29 second mark of each track.

The next two I purchased were from Future Shop (Canada), and both were manufactured in April 2004 - firmware version 1.22. The first of those 2 players seemed to play all my DVD-Audio discs with the exception of skipping on the last 2 tracks of "The Latin Jazz Trio" DVD-Audio disc. Tried another unit at the store, and these last 2 tracks did not skip, so I exchanged for another April 2004 model (all that's available at this time in stores near me). Like the store's demo model, this one seemed fine on all my DVD-Audio discs until I bought "Neil Young - Greendale". It freezes up and will not play this disc in DVD-Audio mode! Went to the store and tried another April 2004 model, and it froze up too! Went to a different store and tried a Yamaha player and the disc played back flawlessly. I'm very frustrated, and think it's important to get one of the more recently released 578's with firmware 1.44 or higher.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator

Well, here's one thing my April 2004 firmware version 1.22 DV-578A does well..... I doesn't make a "pop" sound in between tracks! I set all speakers to small with subwoofer on, used the multichannel analog outputs, and selected the Hi-Rez 2 channel stereo track on Steely Dan - Everything Must Go DVD-Audio, and also tried The Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet SACD (a stereo only disc). I cranked the volume too just in case I didn't have the system loud enough to hear this "pop" sound.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
We finally got some newer stock in Ontario, and so now I own a July 2004 (firmware 1.44) model DV-578A. The DVD-Audio disc "Neil Young - Greendale" still will not play in DVD-Audio mode.

This disc will playback on other non-Pioneer brand DVD-Audio/Universal players.

I've read posts of a firmware fix that came out for the older model DV-563 to correct the problem with these problematic discs, but now I wonder if this "Greendale" disc plays in these "firmware fixed" 563's?! I doubt it.

This was the original article which prompted me to buy one of these problematic discs...

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=10659686

Everyone should complain to Pioneer about this!!!

Also, with this July 2004 firmware 1.44 model I now hear the popping sounds other posters have mentioned...

With the Rolling Stones Beggar's Banquet SACD (2 channel), and the volume at a medium/loud setting, I was able to hear a pop/tick between tracks 1 and 2, and between tracks 6 and 7. Didn't matter if I had the speaker size set to all small with subwoofer on, or all large with subwoofer on.

However, with Steely Dan's Everything Must Go DVD-Audio in 2 channel mode I heard 2 pops between each song, but only with the speakers set to small. Speakers set to large, and no pops. It seemed the first pop was as the player was searching for the next song (even though I was just playing the disc in it's entirety and wasn't pressing the skip or search button), and the 2nd pop as the new track began playing.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Bought a Panasonic DVD-F87 today, and have been torture testing it with all my DVD-Audio discs. No problems so far, and yes it plays "Greendale" in DVD-Audio mode. I wasn't able to do an A/B comparison, but the sound seems to be fuller than the Pioneer was in DVD-Audio mode.

The Panasonic doesn't support SACD, but that's okay beacause I only have 1 SACD (hybrid) disc and I didn't think it sounded any better in the Pioneer than it does in my CD player.

Also, the Panasonic lacks time-alignment and bass management for DVD-Audio, but with the Pioneer I wasn't using the bass management anyway. For time-alignment I'm not that bad off, as my rear speakers are only 2 feet closer than my front speakers.

Bonus features that the Panasonic has include the 5 disc changer, and HDCD processing.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Best Buy is clearing these out at $99. A friend got an open box deal for $79 last night. I am gonna go down and pick one up today. I have about 12 DVD-Audio/SACD's. I will test them and report my results. The discs i heard on my friend's player were fine though. We only listened to SACD though. For $99 it is worth a shot. I use my HTPC for movie viewing so this player will strictly be for my occasional DVD-A/SACD listening.

scott>c

Second Unit
I got this player at $79 and love it. I have owned both units and only use them for music. THe 578 sounds great thus far. I`m gonna do more listening and keep u posted. Great value for the money. Also the 578 is a lil smaller from from front 2 back then the 563.;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just got a DV-578A, and I'm a little concerned about the picture quality. I'm hoping this is silly and I just don't understand how to use it yet, but I'm not real comfortable with the player having video controls of its own (brightness, contrast, etc.). I calibrated my TV with Avia back when I had my previous player (a Pioneer DV-414), but those settings were wrong with the 578A. Obviously, I couldn't use the TV settings to get the picture right, or it would mess up my settings for non-DVD TV viewing. Unfortunately, even using the DVD's controls, I'm not having an easy time getting the picture right. This is the part I don't understand: why is it that I set the black levels and contrast correctly using Avia, but the screen is *still* too damn bright? Dark scenes just have this hazy look to them.

Here's another concern. What if I want to check my TV's video settings in future, for non-DVD use? Hook up my old player? I obviously can't get those settings right with the 578A. I really wish there was a way to just disable the DVD's video "layer" and just use my TV settings.

At this point, I'm thinking of just returning the player. I'll play a few more discs to see if I can get a nice picture, but I can't live with an over-bright picture. If no one can help with this problem, can anyone suggest another player in the same price range, or maybe just a little higher? I bought this player when my old player started going bad, so I don't even know what's out there and what's good.

If this is addressed in this thread, I apologize. Most of the discussion here seems to concern the audio portion more than the video.

Thanks.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I'd buy this player for audio and buy something else that you know is solid, for a dedicated video unit. This thing is a mediocre video player.

Greg, depending on your budget, I'd keep this to enjoy high rez audio and maybe for all your audio needs, and then buy a nice dedicated video unit. You spread the wear and tear and you get the best of both worlds. Good luck! :)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
thats exactly what I got! the Pioneer for audio and the Zenith for video. got them stacked. the Pioneer is not bad on a tube like my Sony Wega XBR 36" but on a projector it just is awful.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yikes. Any recommendations for a good video player? The $200 and below range is mostly where I am, but I could go a little higher. I was actually looking at an Elite DV-45A before I bought the 578, but I'm not sure how much improved that unit's video would be.

What model of Zenith, Ralph?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Yeah, if you're on a limited budget, coupling the Zenith 318 for video with the Pioneer 578 as your dedicated audio unit is pretty hard to beat, imho. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks