Pioneer DV-563AS or Sony DVP-NC685V?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Blaine_M, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I recently purchased a Marantz SR5400 and I'd like to take advantage of the new audio formats so I've been considering the two players I mentioned above since I have a limited budget right now. Does anyone have one either of these units, what do you think of them? I'm leaning towards the Sony, it is a changer and seems like a better value, my only concern with it is the lack of DVD-A playback, should I be concerned with that? The unit will not be my primary DVD player, I'll continue to use my Marantz DVD player for that.

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I have not listened to the Pioneer's SACD but the Sony 685 sounds pretty darn good when I compared it to a Onkyo SP800 (list $1000). The 685 video was pretty good as well but again I haven't compared that to the Pioneer.

As for the lack of DVD-Audio, only you can determine if you will need/want that. It is nice having both but I think SACD has got a big edge with the hybrid CD's becoming more mainstream. Of course, on the other hand, some of my best multi-channel music IS on DVD-Audio (America, Fleetwood Mac).

If your price is restricted to the under $250 your choices are pretty limited. Denon has 2 models that may have better video (910 has neither hi-rez format, 2815 changer which adds DVD-Audio but no SACD). Yamaha is coming out with a universal player that will list for $399 so that may be appealing.

3. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

The Denon 910 basically looks the same as my Marantz DV4100, with the exception of the DVD-R playback. I want something for SACD and maybe DVD-A. I think if I were to go $400 for the Yamaha then I'd just go ahead and jump up to the Marantz DV6400, that thing is awesome.