Pioneer DV-45A or Denon 1600?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronn_R, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

My dvd player died, and I'm interested in these 2 players. I have a 27 inch Sony Wega so I need a good interlaced quality, although I'd like to get HDTV someday.
    I'll be using the player for 65% movie and tv and 35% music cd. I'm not going to use dvd-audio or sacd in the near future, so It needs to be a decent regular cd player.
    One thing I don't like about the denon is that it does not have a coax digital output, and I've heard that it skimps on features.
    Any suggestion is appreciated.

2. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

Ronn,

3. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

Let's try this again..[​IMG]

I have the DV-37 and the 1600. The picture on both is very nice, however, the Pioneer does have the Chroma bug. The Denon is a better overall picture. The sound from the Denon via the digital signal is beautiful for bot DD and DTS on DVD's. All in all the Denon would be my choice for someone who is video focused on its use. [​IMG]

4. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

Eric, I'm not sure how the 37 and 45A compares. How is the cd audio sound compares to the 1600? Is the chroma bug only appears in progressive or both?
    Thanks.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Have you actually seen the Chroma Bug on the 45A with your own two eyes?

If so, you can make your own call. If not, see if you can demo one before condemning it. I have one, and the bug is invisible using the scenes shown on Secrets (5th Element, Toy Story). If you search you will see other users of the 45A reporting the same thing.

FTR, I am using a 53" Pioneer WS set (calibrated with AVIA, but not ISF'd) , with the 45A connected via component input/progressive mode.

BGL

6. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

No I haven't. I went to the Ultimate Audio the other day but they couldn't get the dvd to test this. Well, the sales guy doesn't even know what chroma bug is [​IMG]
    I guess I should bring my own.

7. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

I've decided on the 1600. Nice thing about the 45A is the 2 yrs warranty and coax digital output. The denon has better picture quality and I think the lack of coax would not matter that much for movie playing. I'll get a dedicated sacd player when it's more popular.