What's new

Pioneer DV-45A - Anyone have one yet? (1 Viewer)

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
Hi
thanx for the feedback, I'm pretty happy with the 47a overall so I'll probably keep it. I don't think I'll replace it or my sony V444es reciever until this whole format thing is cleared up. I'm waiting for a universal digital interface for the new high rez formats and the recivers that accept this universal interface so bass management and the lack of eq and soundfield use on multi channel layers are not an issue anymore.

I may break down and get a Elite 49txi reciver and then the 47ai player for that but waiting would probably be my best bet at this point.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Please note that the manual states that the speaker distance settings (time alignment) do not function for SACD. My speakers are relatively equidistant, so it's not an issue for me, and I really don't know how to test if time alignment works for DVD-A.
For the love of Pete, when the hell is a manufacturer going to get this right? :angry:
I don't have equidistant speakers (I wish I did, but I don't), so unfortunately for me, this is a show stopper.
I, and I would guess a lot of folks, need configurable bass management and time alignment for ALL multi channel formats. What is so freakin' hard about that? I really want to spend my money, but I'll be damned if I will until someone gets it 100% right.
I was set to pull the trigger on a Sony 755 (dirt cheap, SACD, plus DTS which I currently lack), but Nooooooo, they had to hobble it with a freakin' 120 Hz crossover.
Recently hearing about the 45A, I thought, finally someone got it right, a true multiformat machine, with correct bass management, and at a great price too.
Alas, its not to be. Boo-Hiss to Pioneer and everyone else that can't seem to grasp what is needed and put out a product that gets it right.
Vent mode off now.
BL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Brian- I sympathize! :)
I listen to 2 channel CD 80% of the time. DVD 19%. SACD/DVD-A that last 1% (which will obviously increase over time).
Here's how I figure it though, for only $420, I can live with the lack of time alignment for SACD and the chroma bug. But I get to (somewhat!) enjoy DVD-A/SACD now.
But I'll be taking a good look at the Onkyo/Integra universal machines when they become available...
The 45a is Pioneer's 3rd generation of universal player. Maybe the 4th will finally get it right. With real "Elite" build quality (> 15 lbs).
The 47a has only been out 6 to 9 months, and it's already retired? Maybe next summer from Pioneer.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
For the love of Pete, when the hell is a manufacturer going to get this right?
There is no TA for SACD because it would have to be converted to PCM in order to do this. DSPs are PCM critters and TA in the analog domain would do more harm than good.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Craig- Where there's a will there a way. Why not do time alignment in DSD? If they can do the crossover that way (or however they do it), I wouldn't think it's a big deal to do the TA that way too. Just a question of eng resources and time.
BTW, *most* of the early DPL processors did their processing in the analog domain, so there's absolutely no reason in my mind why TA couldn't be done in analog too. Not as easy as digital, and maybe not as cheap, but it can be done.
I can't imagine that Sony and Philips just put a format on the market that doesn't allow for time alignment (speaker delay)... :)

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Kevin,

There are no DSD DSPs. No one has found a way to that kind of processing on the DSD stream yet. Yes, it COULD be done in analog, BUT to do so without introducing phase anomalies would be way too expensive to market. And remember we are talking much higher audio quality with SACD tham your ancient DPL processor. Analog TA would destroy that.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I shudder at the thought of any processing being done to high-resolution analog signals. Please do time alignment in the digital domain! :)

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
I believe that this is no longer true, there have been announcements that DSD equipment is available. I saw something the other day on this.
This is great news. Is this something that is targeted at pro-audio, or is it something we can expect soon in consumer gear?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Well, how is the BM implemented in this machine when playing SACD?
In the past it required to convert the signal to PCM,then I've "heard" it here from Lee,that this is no longer the case with the current Sony models,it is indeed done in DSD.
Can you point me where I can read about that,and this newly found way to handle TA as well?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, some people have commented favorably on the '45A in other threads here. A search should prove helpful.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
KeithH,

Do you (or anyone else) plan on comparing the SACD on this machine to one of the Sony ES players?

Aaron

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Count me as another happy new owner of the 45A. I don't have experience with the ES models so I can't compare with them. I replaced a Sony NS500V and a Toshiba 4700. I can tell you there is no contest between the 45A and those models in their respective audio formats. The 45A blows them away.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
From everything I have been reading here i want to try out this model. But most people here i believe ahve posted that they paid approximately 400-450 for their 45a's? This is significantly lower than the 700 MSRP and converting american dollars to canadian it seems liek i should expect to pay about 650-700 canadian, which is 300-350 less than the MSRP

Am I being crazy looking for this price? or is that reasonable any canadian members get this kind of price?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I've now seen them as low as $380. On ebay. I paid $420 at www.soundcity.com.
Throw me in with those who really like this player. If you forget about how light it is, it really is a bargain for all the formats it's compatible with, and for its performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks