Pioneer DV-434 Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Qui-Gon John, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Today I had a major problem with my otherwise problem-free, (for over 2 years, Pioneer player. I turned it on, put in a disk, it attempted to load, then said open, but didn't, then shut off. I tried opening the tray and that didn't work. I took off the cover and checked things out. Finally I removed the whole Tray/Laser assembly, and after putting it back in, and really pressing the connectors down I got it to work.
    Has anyone seen this kind of problem before. Any other ideas. I hope this doesn't keep happening. I am thinking if it happens again I will remove the same part, but this time try and clean all the contacts as much as possible. Then put it back together again. [​IMG]

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

After watching the entrie movie Friday night, after getting my player working, I tried a different disk, just to see if it was still OK. But it died again, same symptoms as before. I'm gonna take it apart and try cleaning those contacts today. But if anyone knows anything about a problem like this, the info would be appreciated.

It would seem it must be something minor, as I was able to get it to work and watched all of Harry Potter. Then it acted up again.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

How often has this player been used?

Though only two years old, the laser pickup may be entering its terminal phase.

I assume also you've kept the player clean and dust-free.

4. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I use it several times a week, not necessarily every day. I keep it turned off when not in use, and the environment is fairly clean, though I have not blown the case out or anything like that. Could this dropping out, then getting it to work by pressing the circuit board contacts be indicative of a problem with the laser pickup?

5. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well I don't know if anything will come of it but I mailed a letter to the President of their Home Entertainment Division, bascially saying that I know it is probably beyond the warranty period, however, one would not think that a quality DVD player, on the higher end of their product line, should just die after 2 years of service.

I detailed the care I've taken with it and my other Pioneer equipment I own, RPTV, a second DVD player and Auto CD Player.

And we'll se if they do anything.

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well my letter paid off. I just got contacted by someone at Pioneer today. They are sending me a DV-656A as a replacement for my failed DV-434. No charge, he just asked me to send them the 434 after I get the 656A. Regular UPS will probably be like $20.
    Glad to see a compnay stand by it's product so much. Especially since I was beyond the warranty period, many companies would have said, "poor you", or if they did offer a replacement, would charge for it at a reduced rate. Makes me feel alot better about giving Pioneer my other business, SD-582-HD, another DVD player and my auto CD player. :b