Pioneer DV-414 & widescreen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Gorman, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

Now that I finally have a 16:9 TV (Tosh 50H81), I could use some help and clarification with regard to widescreen and my DVD player's output.
    Do I understand correctly that for anamorphic DVD's I need to change the player's aspect ratio setting in the setup menu to widescreen (or whatever they call it -- I'm not at home presently)?
    If I'm viewing a 4:3 presentation (TV shows, older movies etc) do I need to go into the setup menu to change it back to fullscreen (or whatever they call it)? If so, what a pain in the butt -- is there an easier way to do it? And what happens if I just leave the DVD player's aspect ratio set to widescreen?
    And what about non-anamorphic widescreen presentations? (And for that matter, how do I tell if the widescreen presentation is anamorphic or not?)
    Finally, is there a reliable method for getting into the setup menu on the 414? Usually if I'm at the DVD's main menu and hit "Menu" again, it will take me to the setup menu, but apparently on some DVD's (e.g. Moulin Rouge) pressing "Menu" again does not produce the setup menu.
    Sorry if I'm being dumb... this was never an issue on my 4:3 TV [​IMG]

2. Tim Robbins

Tim Robbins Agent

Hi Dave,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure your DVD player is an older unit, the model number sounds familiar, I think that was my first player circa '97. As far as watching non-widescreen dvds, this unit is interlaced, so leave it in 16x9 mode and adjust aspect ratio with your TV.

As far as getting into the players set-up menu, I think you have press the stop button first if you have a disc in it.

Hope this helps,
    Tim

3. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Set your player to 16:9 mode and leave it there.

For anamorphic movies, set your TV to full.

For non-anamorphic, letterboxed movies, set your TV to TW2.

For 4:3 presentations, set your TV to standard.

I should say the picture quality on the 414 is quite deplorable, compared to present day players.

4. Dave Gorman

Thanks Tim & Kwang for the info.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That's why the vertical bars are gray instead of black on your Toshiba RPTV. Simply make sure the contrast and brightness controls are set at sane levels, while mixing up your program material a bit (between 4:3 and 16:9), and you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as the player goes: Set it to 16:9 output and never bother going into the setup menu again.

6. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Jack is right on....I have that player myself. You only want to setup 4:3 in the DVD player's menu IF you have a 4:3 set. Since you have a 16:9 TV set now, after you set it up in 16:9 mode(or widescreen)in the 414 menu, you'll never have to mess with that feature again on the DVD player. Just always adjust the ratio on the tv. Good luck and enjoy!

7. Dave Gorman

8. Kwang Suh

9. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. I do have a DV-414 as well, and now I am wondering: am I really missing a better picture by not getting a newer unit? Thus far, the Pioneer has served me well and looks terrific on my Sony 27" (Calibrated with Video Essentials DVD and A Video Standard Laserdisc). What really would I gain by getting a newer unit for this current setup? I know if I ever get an HD capable set, I may opt for a progessive scan unit, but currently, HD is not anywhere in my forseeable future. So, should I stick with what works, or buy a new toy?

AJ Garman

10. Dave Gorman

11. Kwang Suh

I think VE is out of print. You should be able to order Avia from http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=IMA005867.
    As for the DV-414... It has a very dark picture. I suspect the white level on the player is set way too low. Although, it's anamorphic downconversion is very good.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    The DV 414 I have replaced my first Player a Panasonic 110 that had problems with layer changes occassionally. I gave that player to my Parents and it's been working pretty well for them. I think the picture on the 414 is fine for a non progressive unit. I still use it tody on a 32" Direct View Set. I've replaced it with a Tosh 6200 Progressive for my Widescreen set in my Theater