What's new

Pioneer DV 37 - Should I buy it again? (1 Viewer)

I purchased DV 37 progressive scan player on March this year. After I had to send it back for service and UPS damaged it, I'm getting a refund and in the market for a new player. DV 37 seemed like the only option for me six months ago, but this time I'm not so sure. Denon 2800, Panasonic (don't remember model number) and maybe Sony 9000 come to mind. If you were in the market for a new progressive scan DVD player, would you buy Pioneer DV 37 again? What do you guys think. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Mariusz

Joseph Kim

Agent
I own the dv-37, and if I had your option, I'd get something else. I can't stand the chroma bug on the 37. Also, the new jvc models seem to be good for the money, and some also have dvd audio. The panasonic rp-91 gets talked about all the time here. I think you can do better now.
joe

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I'm a Pioneer lover, however, nowadays, I don't think Pioneer gives you the best bang for the buck.
I don't need DVD Audio and onloy a few of my DVD is non anamorphic. Therefore I don't need the RP-91. I bought Panasonic RP-56 for merely $375 Canadian (including our 15%taxes) and there is no chroma bug, great de-interlacing with 3:2 pulldown. Reportedly, the deinterlacer circuit is Sage and Panasonic MPEG2 chip is also being used by Kenwood for their Sovereign line.
For the price, you won't get any better than this (well, until next year).

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Where did you hear it uses the SAGE/Faroudja chipset?
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
David where did you buy the RP56 for that price?
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

What about Denon 2800 or Onkyo DV-S939? How do they compare to DV-37. I'm also big on music and I'm not sure Panasonic or JVC is up to par with the big boys.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I love the Denon 2800. I wouldn't trade it for anything at this point. I am waiting out the DVD-A, SACD debaucle and until that time....no need to upgrade.
Have you had the opportunity to read over the results of the latest DVD Shootout? It's a good place to start.
There are some new units on the horizon...the new Sonys (multi-channel SACD vs. 2ch in the 9000ES) as well as the new Kenwoods (Faroudja) and the next Denon (4800 w/DVD-A and bass management as well as Burr-Brown DACs all the way around). Pick up a Crutchfield catalog and take a look.
There is definitely a better unit available than the DV 37.
Take a look at a dealer (or in-home) on units with the chroma bug. It may or may not be a big deal to you. It doesn't bug me at all :) I think the Denon masks it pretty well compared to other machines....but it's up to your eyes.
Jeremy

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I didn't wait out the progressive scan war, and since I have an NTSC TV right now, and probably will have for a while, I bought a Panasonic DVD CV-51.
I could switch over to progressive though :) Is there a Panasonic "progressive scan DVD player" that is the equivalent of the RP-91 in a "5 disc changer"? If so, what is it and does it playback "MP3's" from CDR/RW?

What do you guys think about Denon DVM 4800, Sony DVPNS900V and Onkyo DV S939. Which one would you pick. And what about DVD Audio vs. SACD. Which one is more popular?
Mariusz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.