pioneer ds-533hd5 or hitachi 57uwx20b?? HELP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe_waite, Nov 11, 2002.

1. joe_waite

joe_waite Stunt Coordinator

ok, ive narrowed my choices down to these 2. and no i cannot afford the extra $700 for the swx from hitachi so please dont tell me to do this. out of these two models, which do you think is better. i have dss satalite, xbox which i do use alot, and a sony dvd player. please help me out. price for the pioneer is $2250 and the hitachi is $2200. thanks for your help!!

2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    You can't go wrong with either set when it comes to picture. Price is almost identical. To me, it comes down to a matter of features as the deciding factors here.

Pioneer has better stretch modes.

Hitachi has a DVI input lacking in the Pioneer.

The Pioneer set has 64 point user convergence and separate video settings for each input (including screen aspect and screen position). I am not that familiar with the Hitachi with respect to user convergence and input settings.

The SD533HD5 is on casters. Again, don't know about the Hitachi, although it's probably standard when you get to this size.

I have the Pioneer set you're looking at and I love it. I'll take the better stretch over the DVI.

Anyone want to chime in on the Hitachi features?

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Regular Pioneer RPTV's have many of the same quality and features, (IE....stretch modes, line doublers), that are used on the Pioneer Elites!
    I think the picture on my PRO-620HD is awesome. Have compared it to a new Mits....the Elite wins!! Mits makes a great RPTV. I looked at it strong. They use to make great Direct View TV's also!! Had a 40"er for about 6 years...loved that picture.
    What size do you need, 53" or 57"???
    Joe....TRUST YOUR EYES!![​IMG]

4. joe_waite

size does not really matter. im not sure if the difference of 4" will make a world of a difference but i could be wrong.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Having had some experience with last year's UWX Hitachi (hated it and swapped for another brand), I'd strongly recommend the Pioneer.

Better stretch modes, better line doubling, better build quality and quality control, availability of comprehensive manual convergence in user menu.

The UWX is Hitachi's entry level set, and can be good with lots of tweaking, but doesn't approach the Pioneer for overall quality.

6. Bryan Six

Bryan Six Auditioning

If you are getting the Pioneer were I think you are, there is a $80 coupon that can be applied to this price. Hey every little thing helps.

7. Matt_Key

Matt_Key Agent

The Pioneer also displays native 480p. So your DVDs will be artifact free (spottiness on faces that hitachi exhibits).

Matt

8. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Like Matt said -definitely the pioneer-it displays 480p in its native format while the hitachi will upconvert it to 540p or 1080i

9. joe_waite

If you are getting the Pioneer were I think you are, there is a $80 coupon that can be applied to this price. Hey every little thing helps.

ok, first of all it would help if you posted where the coupon is good for and also what the coupon code is. posting what you did did absolutely nothing for me. anymore opinions??