Pioneer CLD-S201 Laserdisc player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianMu, May 31, 2002.

1. BrianMu

BrianMu Stunt Coordinator

Can anybody tell me anything about this player aside from the info at:
    http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...r_cld-s201.htm
    I assume it is 49 dB S/N for the video, can anyone confirm that? I'm having a heck of a time finding a laserdisc player locally. I found a CLD-D702 and a CLD-53 both without a remote for $550 each at one store!!! The only other one I've found is a 201. I can get it for $99 but might be able to talk the guy down a little more yet. As far as I can tell, it's a single side only, no digital out (obviously not AC-3 out) bare bones player from 1992. Does this sound like a decent player for someone who just wants it for Star Wars and Indy and has a good (1 yr old)analog 50" Toshiba RPTV? Is the only way to listen to the digital track to have a digital out on the LD player, or is it just the difference of letting the LD player vs. the receiver do the decoding? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

My first player was an S201, and it is still going strong as my secondary player. I would have to consult my manual re: the 49db S/N ratio, I am not sure.

Yes, you can listen to either the digital or analog tracks with this player; as you hinted, it is just a matter that the player itself does the D/A conversion before sending the sound out the analog audio outputs.

Not having a digital out really only means that you can't listen to DTS tracks with it. It is single-sided, no s-video output, which is no big deal for this player. I have a CLD-D704 as my main player, and the video quality of it versus the S201 is noticeably better, but compared with VHS I was always ecstatic with the quality of the S201.

I have had zero trouble with mine, and it has been a good player over the years. I don't know if $99 is a good price or not, though.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

4. BrianMu

BrianMu Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I read them just before leaving work and stopped by the store to check the player out. It looked mint and had the remote and the owner told me I could bring it back if it didn't work. I got the guy down to $90 and since this is the only player I've seen locally at a halfway reasonable price, I decided to go for it. I just got it hooked up and threw in Star Wars Ep. IV and have to say that it looks great!! I have no basis for comparison since I've never owned a LD player, but I've seen DVDs that looked worse. I was plesantly surprised. Audio lacks imaging compared to a good DD or DTS DVD, but it still sounds pretty good. It beats the heck out of VHS!

Thanks again,
    Brian

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone else find it amazing how many used laser disc devices sell because of Star Wars??? If it weren't for Lucas being a dork about DVD and the original trilogy I bet the used laser market would be 1/8 of what it is now... [​IMG]
    I don't know how many times I've seen "I just got a laser disc player and SW" or "...I just want a player for star wars..." [​IMG] I'm guilty, but it's still funny. I only borrowed the player though then made SVHS dubs. [​IMG]
    -Aaron

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Aaron, there is a further irony to it. Fox and Lucas really hurt the LD player market back when the 3 THX LD's were released for the utterly ridulous list of $69.99 each, IMO. They pressed beaucoups of those THX remsters too. Like..., people were gonna run out and buy an LD player and pay over $200 for the trilogy! Well, this explains the abundant supply of those editions, many stille new, that exists. There certainly are hundreds if not a couple thousand of other discs that make getting an LD player worthwhile, IMO. Best wishes!

7. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Rachel,
    I didn't know that, thats kind of funny actually... [​IMG]
    I don't disagree that there is lots out there on laser worth looking into. Soon I will probably pick up a player, but I've got so many other toys in the queue before that one!
    -Aaron

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Aaron, doesn't it give you a warm feeling that Georgie doesn't get a cut of the LD trade anymore?

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I thought the THX ones were $59.99 when new. At least that's what I paid at Tower Video in 1995 for "Star Wars". I think it was the first widescreen release that was $69.99. And miserably bad transfers, but much better cover art than the "faces" discs.

10. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Rachel,
    He's gotten enough of my money lately... [​IMG] I've seen EP2 3 times already...And I'd be done if it werent for some vendors from work scheduling a private showing for us after a 'dog and pony' show of theirs... *sigh* [​IMG]
    I just couldn't bring myself to get the trilogy on VHS, it just didn't feel right. I didn't want to support Lucas' decision not to release DVD's until 2005.
    What ya gonna do? *shrug*
    -aaron

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Phil, you've got it backwards. Many of the old "grey label" Fox Widescreen Editions listed for $59.99. I'm not positive about the three STIR WARZ ones because I got all three of them at a used media dealer. I do remember being shocked and offended that THE PLANET OF THE APES & it's sequels, grey labels, were all $59.99, list.
    In the hey-day of LD I used to go to Nashville on biz nearly every week and visit the Tower that's near the Vanderbilt campus (West End Avenue), they discounted the top 20 LD's, usually about $10. That fits in wth your price recollection. So, I imagine you might have paid less than list. I got the THX remasters from Ken Cranes for 20% off list. I bought most of my discs from Ken. I usually only bought from the top 20 or the $10 to $20 sale rack titles at Tower.
    I don't remember Tower's SW THX price because I got them from Ken Cranes the week they came out and never paid any mind to Tower's price. I do well remember seeing them for $69.99 at the places here in Knoxville that carried LD's. Fox's LD pricing was the most capricious of them all IMO.
    Aaron, even though I ate Episode 2 cereal for weeks before seeing CLONES I felt really let down by the film. I'm not anxious to see it a second time. I'm so sure that they cloned the actors in the film![​IMG] I mean the real Samuel Jackson and Ewan McGreagor act with far more emotion that what I witnessed. If it was the real actors they must of been acting on Psycho-therapy drugs or Quayludes? I'm not the least bit excited about it coming to DVD either. To me, CLONES makes PHANTOM MENACE look like a masterpiece... I'll proably see CLONES again on a rainey day and see if I like it better second time around. Best wishes guyz!