What's new

Pioneer CLD-D704 a noticable improvement over D505? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've got a CLD-D505 LD player now, and I've been pretty happy with it...although some LDs look like crap on my 53" Panny. Someone has offered e a 704 for $275, and my question is: "Is it worth it?" Aside from the optical out for DTS discs, is there much of an improvement to justify that investment?

Thx for the advice guys!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The 704 will cut video noise better and will have a better pic. Some LD's are mastered badly and stille won't look great but likely will look a little better. The better mastered discs will, of course, improve even more. Dark indoor or night scenes should show the most improvement. The 704 has a coaxial and optical digital output. $275 seems like a below average price. You ought to strongly consider buying it. Best wishes Matt!:)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I agree with everything Rachael wrote. Also. the 704 will probably run quieter than the 505, but the difference may be small. The price is good. Does your collection justify the expenditure?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I don't know...right now I'm at about 40 discs, and they are all very important to me. The problem is that at this time it's hard to spend any money...I just don't have that much laying around.
Decisions, decisions... :)
Thanks for all the help!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matt, depending on the price, I think the 704 would be a good addition if you have a DTS capable receiver.

My DTS discs are my pride and joy right now and some of those LD's are head and shoulders above the non DTS versions. Since almost all of the DTS discs were released after 1997, they are the pinnacle of LD pressing/mastering software. Some of the audio and video quality on those discs are quite comparable to any non anamorphic DVD.

Otherwise the 704 would probably a small improvement in the video quality.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know on a big screen but if I can see a HUGE difference between my 704 and 505 I would think you would def notice it on a big screen.

Matt, I just sold my 505 and bought a 704 which was used maybe 15 times for $250.00 locally/private sale.

I never looked back. I thought the 505 had a good pic till I saw the 704 perform! my reference LD was the THX Star Wars Faces discs and there was way way more noise on the 505 which the 704 doesnt show at all. plus the optical is cool as I can let my Onkyo reciever do the digital analog conversion.

another good example is I put in my Jurrasic Park CAV LD in and can say that it comes very close too dvd but the only ddifference is the LD had a much sharper picture. but of course that is only on that particular disc.

in the end you will notice its worth it. buy it, if you dont like ti you can always sell it, and prob for more than you bought it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks