What's new

pioneer cld-d406 good or not??? (1 Viewer)

I don't have a laserdisc player been looking for one and found one at local pawn shop for $89 dollars. Is this a good laserdisc player???? Can it play DTS and DD???? If you saw it would you buy it????? Does it sound like a good buy??? THanks

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Yes it is a great price if it works. It will do DD and DTS - has an optical out for DTS and a coax out for DD.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
To the best of my recollection, the original list was $600. For full features and specs see: Link Removed

can I run the digital out directly to my reciever to decode DD and DTS just like my DVD player???? Or do I need something else?????

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think the 405 has DTS(optical) but does have ac-3.

Eddie: you can run ac-3 through a demux but no DTS. even the link shows no DTS on that model if I read it correctly.

great price for sure if it in nice shape, id pick it up.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Any player that has a digital out can be run into a device or receiver that has DTS decoding capability. So the optical digital out of the 406 into a DTS decoder would be fine. Dolby Digital or AC-3 is a different animal, and in order to get it you need another device called an RF demodulator. These can go used from just below the mid $100s to low $200s for a basic model (the B&K listed for $500 and the Lexicon for $700 and these might be a bit more). A few high end receivers from a few cos. also had the device built in. For example, the Marantz SR-18 had it, but when Marantz issued the SR-18EX, it was eliminated. RF is 'Radio Frequency' the the dolby digital bitstream is carried on an analog track and then demodulated before being sent to the receiver. For non-digital laserdiscs of course you can use the analog outs.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
unless I cant read those specs on that link and from what I have read the 406 does not have optical digital out.

yes any dummy knows optical out works on a reciever with DTS decoding but like I siad the 406 does not have that feature (optical out) . Im just trying to help so this guy isnt confused and thinking this player has optical out when it doesnt.

This is how the LD player that I want to buy looks like and by lookin at the pictures it does have Optical Out. If it says "AC-3 Dolby
Digital out" Wouldn't this LD player be ready to decode DD without using a RF demodulator. Just straight into the reciever???? Or am I not understading something....
http://www.hevanet.com/gillesp/cld-d406.html

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Here are of the details about the 406:

CLD-D406

Pioneer CLD-406 Laser Disc Player
Digital Video Processing System
Last Memory with review Mode
425 Horizontal lines Of Resolution
Repeat Mode (7)
Video Signal To Noise Ratio:49dB
Display Off
Power Requirements: AC120VAC,60Hz
Power Consumption: 29W
Dual Sided LD Playback E-Turn
Independant CD Tray
AC-3 RF Output
2 Composite Video Outputs
2 Composite Audio Outputs
Optical Digital Output
SR (System Remote) Control Unit (P=Power On/Off)
Dimensions: 16-9/16"W x 5-3/16"H x 15-15/16"D
Weight: 14.1 LBS. Net.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Phil A.
unless I cant read those specs on that link and from what I have read the 406 does not have optical digital out.
yes any dummy knows optical out works on a reciever with DTS decoding but like I siad the 406 does not have that feature (optical out) . Im just trying to help so this guy isnt confused and thinking this player has optical out when it doesnt.
No offense, but it's not much help to have the specs wrong! :) The 406 most definitely does have an optical out.
Eddie, that price is an absolute steal. If I saw that I would buy it in a second even though I already have 5 LD players (that's not a typo:eek: ). The CLD-D 406 has virtually everything you could possibly need in a LD player. Dual side play, AC-3 and PCM digital outs, and decent build quality. Take a look at the prices they've been going for on EBay recently. Typically this unit sells for about $150.
You will not be able to listen to the 5.1 AC-3 track on equipped LDs without buying an AC-3 demodulator (or a second hand DD decoder with a demod built in), which will cost you about $150 on EBay. The real desirable LD exclusive titles don't have AC-3 tracks anyway. The PCM stereo track you get through the Optical cable will satisfy your audio needs.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Phil, you are absolutely right. If the unit is in good working order it is a steal. I'd buy it for that price as well. If nothing else, it makes a very good CD transport that will rival using more modern stuff that is several times the price. LD players and demodulators are getting a little harder to come by. Pioneer stopped making their LD line and I understand also discontinued their Japanese flagship models. Even the sound from LDs in analog is not too shabby.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
well those specs are wrong for sure! wish my 505 had optical out and the other options. I thought the 505 was a higher model. bummer for me even though the video is higher and looks quite good id also like the digital options and optical. buy it before someone else does.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I had the 'D406 for about a year-and-a-half, and it was a solid player. Note that it was my only laserdisc player, so I have no basis for comparison. Since it can do DTS, I feel it is definitely worth $89 if it works and is in good condition. The only thing I didn't like about the 'D406 is I felt it was an awful CD transport (optical digital output to my receiver).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Philip, the 'D406 definitely was a budget model. I bought mine in July 2000 brand new for $425 (and have since sold it), and the build quality was average. On the plus side, the 'D406 enjoys the distinction of being the last LD/CD player Pioneer made. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks