What's new

Pioneer brand sub woofer? (1 Viewer)

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
I asked these questions on another forum and received no responses. A local pawn shop has a Pioneer sub for sale for about $150 or so. It's quite large and heavy and has a center channel with it. It's 220 watts, model # htv-sw2, bottom firing. The center channel speaker is model #htv-c2. The model year on the back of the center channel is 1998. I checked Pioneer's web site but found nothing about it.

Being new to HT, how does the center channel hook up to this sub and then hook up to my receiver (there is no manual and this can not be returned if bought)? There are cables and some type of remote that controls it. I could be wrong but it appears the two pieces connect together with the supplied cables? If so, that would limit where I could put the sub? Would the two need to be connected together? Or could I connect them separately to my receiver (a Yammie RXV 630)? As you can see, I'm completely clueless as to how this particular combo works.

They both appear to be in good shape. Would this be a good sub especially for this price? It looks like it might be able to put out some big sound (whether I need that or not, I don't know, remember my 1st ever set up). My room size is 12 X 18 with a 10 foot opening into the kitchen area on the left side of the room. Should I take the chance/plunge and buy this sub? Any responses would be appreciated.
Thx, Frank

Sorry, too late, but I meant to post this in the speaker section.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Frank,
First, welcome to the Forum!
I checked my Audio magazine Equipment Directory for 1998 or 1998. I could not find these model numbers as a stand-alone Pioneer speaker system. It was probably part of a larger system (perhaps a home-theater-in-a-box package).
There are cables and some type of remote that controls it. I could be wrong but it appears the two pieces connect together with the supplied cables? If so, that would limit where I could put the sub? Would the two need to be connected together? Or could I connect them separately to my receiver (a Yammie RXV 630)?
Since we can’t see these pieces for ourselves, these are questions you will have to figure out for yourself, Frank. These items might have proprietary cabling to be used exclusively for the system they came with.
Here’s some information that might help you make a determination. To use these (or any) speakers/subs with your receiver, look for the following:
  • The center channel (and other satellite speakers) should have either binding posts or spring-clip terminals that accept speaker wire. Avoid speakers with permanently attached cables.
  • Subs generally should be powered. There will be a power cord, and a plate on the side or bottom with volume and crossover controls. There will also be one or two RCA input jacks. A passive (non-powered) sub will also have a bank of speaker input and output terminals (as described above) for speaker-level inputs. Many powered subs will have speaker-level inputs as well. Again, avoid any subs with permanently attached cabling (other than a power cord).
Alternately, if you can determine that there is access to the sub’s driver, the cabinet itself could be the basis for a DIY sub project, should you decide the sub’s performance to be inadequate. Thus your purchase wouldn’t be a total loss – the cabinet alone sounds like it might be worth the $150.
You might be able to get some specific information by calling Pioneer’s US headquarters at 800-421-1404. Perhaps someone in the parts department could look up a manual and give you some information.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Not familiar with those units, but in home theater applications the subwoofer does not connect in any way directly to a center-channel unit. Rather, both are connected to an amplifier. But if the subwoofer is a powered unit containing its own power amplifier, it would be connected to the receiver via a line-level input for best results.

It really sounds as if you purchased the remaining remnants of a once-complete system that had a receiver as well as speakers for left and right front and the surrounds. Somebody else beat you to the pawn shop most likely, and decided he or she wanted the satellite speakers. You got what was left.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Just my .02¢ Don't bother with this. Get yourself an inexpensive, entry level, but highly recommended sub- the Sony wm-40 or DLS 10 (do a search here for info on that) and a center that is timbre matched to your front main speakers.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Thx for the replies guys. I did go back to the store and look closer at the two units. The two units do go together. The sub has no controls on it at all, just two spots for the two cables which hooks to the center channel. All of the controls/connections are on the center channel with a supplied remote control with an LED readout section on the center channel. (This makes me think that it might be similar to a two or three speaker Bose system)

As suggested, I did call Pioneer and speak with a tech. He could not tell me much, other than the fact that the two units do go together as a single unit and that they are no longer made. Too bad. The sub looks like it could be pretty decent for the price. But I took Jose's suggestion and decided not to buy it. Just wasn't sure/comfortable with the unit.

FYI, I did buy a cheaper and smaller off brand KLH sub that they had for sale there. It doesn't look like it will put out near the bass of the Pioneer, but I think it will do just fine for my purposes. Again, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate your time and your answers.

Frank

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, just curious, could that still be hooked up to a receiver and be used in a 5.1 system with the center channel as the center speaker? Do you think it would sound OK, if it could be? Just curious as I am not going to buy it now.
Thx, Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks