What's new

Pioneer AVR 1122k : Automatically shutting down? (1 Viewer)

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
Hi, i have setup a Pioneer AVR 1122k with a set of Martin Logan 5.1 and everything was working fine till a month...now all of a sudden while watching some movies on Netflix the AVR automatically shuts down...any idea what the issue can be? i did check the rear panel for some wires shorting but doesnt look like....

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
A couple of things come to mind: 1) A stray wire, especially around the speaker terminals on the receiver, can cause this. Has anybody or thing moved the receiver, speakers or wires? (I've seen wires get pulled loose when people dust, and my cats sometimes pull them loose from the speaker ends.) In any case, disconnect each speaker wire, even if you're using banana plugs, and make sure there are no strands of copper that could make contact with any metal on the receiver. 2) Overheating. Electronics often have self-protection circuits that will turn them off if they get too hot. Anything blocking the air vents?) 3) If it only happens with Netflix, there may be an wiring problem with your Ethernet connection. 4) If you have a surge protector or UPS on the system check it. I had to replace an SP at work recently, because the output voltage started to vary. (If first noticed it when the volume of the speakers randomly jumped and then returned to normal.) If you don't have a surge protector, GET ONE! :D (I live in Florida, the lightning capital of the U.S. I won't plug in a desk lamp without a surge protector - and I prefer a battery backup for my home theater gear.) Let us know if any of this helps, Joe

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
Thanks for your reply... for the surge protector..i have 2 and tired using both of them....still the problem persists....both are a month old... the receiver shuts off while watching netflix but that is via my Apple TV connected to one of my HDMI inputs on the receiver....i tried switching the inputs but still the same.... what i have done now is ..i separated the HDMI out into the Tv and directly connected the apple tv to my plasma....and kept the receiver on as well...and the receiver iis not switching off at the moment.... i checked the cables and its a month old wiring and pretty much insulated.... the above check tells me that when the speakers are on , thats when the AV keeps shutting down....

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
the above check tells me that when the speakers are on , thats when the AV keeps shutting down....
And that almost certainly points to speaker wiring. A crimp, a cut, a loose strand of copper touching something it shouldn't, wire running too close to a source of interference (less likely, but possible.) Well, now you have a project for the weekend - checking every foot of speaker wire in your system. ;)

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
yea.. i guess the whole weekend would go in debugging this ( well not a bug exactly : ) ) .. so to start with unplug all the wires from the receiver and attach one by one...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Go down to the "main pair"...then add the center...then the surrounds. My guess is the simple act of re-doing the wires will solve the issue. It is always possible the power supply in the AVR is faulty. But...confirm you have no speaker issues first. While you are down to the main pair...swap to the surrounds as well to make sure that nothing is wrong internally with the speakers.

gri1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gururaj
Thanks, this worked.. i realized on that weekend that the center channel speaker had the + and - wires royally kissing each other :) that fixed it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks