What's new

Pioneer 969 audio out to old receiver (1 Viewer)

Ron_Yeoh

Grip
Hi all
Just took delivery of my new Pioneer 435 with the HDMI 969 DVD player. Pictures are brilliant. Am trying to output the sound to my old NEC300X receiver for surround sound but this is the problem . Only have optical and coaxial digital audio outs from the 969 and my receiver doesn't have these inputs. The 969 also has individual analogue 6 channel outputs but my receiver doesn't have these individual inputs, only the conventional 2 channel RCA ones from any source. Short of getting a new receiver with those inputs, is there anything I can do? Thanks
Ron

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Your old receiver is probably a stereo receiver. For now, your best option is to set the DVD player to output in stereo and set your receiver to apply Dolby Pro Logic (I assume it at least has Pro Logic).

It won't be true 5.1 surround, but it's better than nothing. Or you could just watch movies in stereo.

--Nathan

Ron_Yeoh

Grip
Hi nathan
Thanks for comments...I tried what you suggested by connecting the 2 channel stereo output to my Dolby ProLogic receiver and yes...I'm getting sound through all the 5.1 speakers.....but are you saying that this is not true 5.1 surround sound?
Ron

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Correct. True 5.1 sound (discrete signals to each channel) is only possible through a digital connection or through the 6 analog outputs.

What you achieve with ProLogic is 5.1 surround sound processed from 2 channels. It is not quite as good as true surround sound, but it will do fine until you decide to upgrade to a receiver that does Dolby Digital, dts, etc.

Ron_Yeoh

Grip
Thanks it sounds reasonable..and as it's in my bedroom I think I can live with it...th Pioneer 435 is a blast though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks