Pioneer 939A DVD Player. Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zane Charron, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I am looking at purchasing this as a region free player for $1399from www.codefreedvd.com . Anyone have experience with this model?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Zane, the '939A is an older model and is no longer in production as far as I know. The US version was the Pioneer Elite DV-38A. I recently noticed that the '38A was still up on Pioneer's US web site (www.pioneerelectronics.com), which surprised me, as I thought it had been discontinued. The '38A has been discussed here more than the '939A, so you might want to do a search for the '38A here. Note that the '38A is not a multi-region player (Region 1 only), but you might find comments in terms of its video, sound, and build quality. I know the '38A shows the chroma bug, so the '939A probably does as well. I only have limited experience with the '38A, and that is only with it in CD mode. The set-up I tried it with in a store, which also consisted of a Bryston multi-channel pre-amp and power amp and B&W CDM-1NT bookshelf speakers, sounded terribly bright. I don't know if the player was to blame, but the sound was intolerable.
    You might also want to look into a multi-region version of the new Pioneer DV-747A. It is a universal player, meaning it plays DVD-Audio discs and SACDs. The US equivalent is the Elite DV-47A, and the '47A has been discussed here extensively. The build quality of the '47A is lacking in my opinion (worse than the '38A), but the '47A does add SACD. Perhaps a multi-region version of the '747A would be priced similar to the '939A you are considering.

3. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Thanks for the info, Keith.
    This is so frustrating. I live and work in Germany, though most of my 700+ DVDs are region 1. Still, a requirement for a new DVD player is that it be region free, since my German girlfriend and I buy some region 2 discs. I'm seriously looking at the Panasonic TX-36PB50D as my next TV, so I want progressive scan as well as component outputs and NTSC/PAL adaptibility (a must, of course).
    DVD-A and SACD are not really a concern for me since this will be strictly used for DVD-V watching, but having one or both would be a great added feature. I've found a few potential players, but none that have everything. For example:
    Region-free Pioneer 939A: Bad chroma bug 1399Euro
    Region-free Sony 9000ES: Chroma bug 1699Euro
    Region-free Denon 3800: Chroma bug 1899Euro
    The first 2 players are being replaced as we speak. I don't know if the chroma problem as bad as I've been reading, but if I am spending upwards of $5000 on a DVD player and 16x9 set, I don't want to regret it. So here again are my requirements:
    Region free (at least 1-2)
    True progressive scan
    Great picture, audio less so
    Component outputs
    NTSC/PAL
    $1500 or less
    If anyone could help me as to where I might get a good player with all those requirements, I would greatly appreciate. All this research is hurting my brain. [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Zane, no problem. Www.techtronics.com out of the UK has a number of multi-region players. Check the following link for available models:
    http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/5...vd-player.html
    Also, Techtronics has a multi-region version of the Pioneer '939A for £775 ($1178 USD). It handles Regions 1-6. The web site says that none are in stock, but it's on the web site for order. Here is a link for the '939A:
    Techtronics also has a multi-region version of the Pioneer '747A (Regions 1-6). They have different modification packages available (they do the multi-region modifications and other modification in-house). Prices range from £645 ($980.40 USD) to £873 ($1326.96 USD). Most versions are in stock. Here is a link for the '747A:
    I live in the US and have never ordered from Techtronics, but I've seen them mentioned favorably in the past here and on other message boards. I believe Techtronics ships everywhere. Hope this helps.

5. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Well Keith, you've been very helpful. The Pioneer DV-747A looks like a great player, and reasonably priced to boot. I think that's the one. Now if I can just work around this stupid credit card address problem...

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Zane, no problem. I was glad to help. Hope you are able to get the '747A and that it works out for you.