Pioneer 811S vs. Denon 1802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Meconiates, May 22, 2002.

1. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

The 2 contenders under $400
    I am trying to advise a friend
    Which has better amps? 2 channel music is a priority.
    also max speakers driven would be 5.1

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

1802. Honest clean power. No tricks.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

If 2 channel music is the most important, your friend should really go audition the choices.

I have a D811S and it is fine for 2 channel music but I am just powering two CSW Newton M50 bookshelf speakers and am hardly straining the receiver. I also don't listen at ear-splitting levels. The Denon will most certainly have more real power and more headroom but also remember that to get 3db more, one needs to double the power. i.e. you're not going to really get a lot more volume out of an extra 20 watts per channel. It's probably more important to figure out which one sounds better with your friend's speakers.

Although you didn't list it, you may also want to look at the Marantz line - the 5200 is in your price range - which many people here at the forum really like for serious 2 channel music listening.

good luck,

--tom

4. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the replies...

He is also considering the JBL S312 speakers if that makes any difference... I am worried about that speaker being a power hog and was worried about headroom issues on both units.

5. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

I have the 811S and I would be afraid to drive my expensive NHT speakers with those amps for fear of clipping. I just use it as a preamp.

My vote is also for Denon for quality, but Pioneer for features (DTS-ES is awesome).