What's new

Pioneer 811S "Overload" problem (1 Viewer)

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Just hooked up a new 811, turned it on, "Overload" came on the screen and it shut off. First tried the VCR input, then the tuner. Same thing. Redid all of the speaker wires to make sure there were no shorts. Should I just take it back? Anybody else have this problem?:angry:

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I get that sometimes on my pioneer but it only happens when its hooked up a certain way.

Jamie

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I had this same problem, and it turns out I miswires my makeshift Cat-5 speaker cable in such a way that it created a short. It would flash overload on the screen and shut off.
I called Pioneer and they said they are very few things that will cause this receiver to shut off under normal circumstances... Either driving a low ohm (Less than 8) load, or there is a bad transformer. the rep also said that their current line of receivers "run hot" and that they can have problems with excessive heat (Think hot summer day with no A/C and windows shut).
If you are absolutly sure there are no problems with your wiring, and you are driving 8 ohm speakers, then it is possible you have a bad unit. Take it back and try a new one. The 811 is really a great receiver and deserves a second shot ;)

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Well, the Dahlquist speakers I got are supposedly efficient, easy to drive bookshelves, but they are rated at 6 ohms, so maybe that is the problem. If so, that is kind of disappointing. I guess I'll just have to get the Yamaha 5550. This is my daughter's system and she works at Best Buy and she gets a good discount, so the 811 or the Yamaha are my choices.

Thanks for the advice....

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Brian, I regularly drive two pairs of Cambridge Soundworks Newton M50 bookshelves (nominal impedance of 8 ohms) off the front L/R channels on a Pioneer 811S (using a Niles speaker selector with protection switch off). Never had any troubles. The volume knob never gets above -48db or so and it is plenty loud for us.

cheers,

--tom

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
Thats sounds kinda weird... most modern receivers rated for 8 ohms can still handle 6 ohms, as long as your aren't pounding it.

When I had my problem with my bad wiring, it didn't even shut off till I turned it up very loud. That says a lot for a 0 ohm load.

DonJ

Second Unit
Brian I'm with you stay away from pioneer till you get to the higher Elites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks