Pioneer 811or Marantz 4300???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelLT, Jan 12, 2003.

1. MichaelLT

MichaelLT Auditioning

I am looking for a nice receiver that later on I can add some amps to. Both look like they can do that. Anyone use these receivers with amps? If so, which one do you like the best.

2. MichaelLT

MichaelLT Auditioning

Does anyone use either one of these receivers for HT??? Anyone?? If so, let me know what you think of them.

3. MattMB

MattMB Agent

I've not heard the Marantz, but I do own the VSX-D811s. I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a very good under $400 reciever.

I'm not going to pretend it's better than some THX cert Denon, but I'm very pleased with it.

4. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

I was not at all impressed with the amp section of last year's Marantz 4200. I've yet to listen to the 4300, but considering its cheaper than the 4200 (list price for each when new) and has an extra amp in there, I just don't see quality.
    With no plans on external amplification, I'd take the 811. But since you're interested in it, I don't think it will make much difference. I can see differences in pre/pro sections once you pass a few grand in budget, but at around $400, they probably perform similarly (if not practically identical). Although I have terrible ears for this kind of stuff. I've yet to hear why so many recommend for Marantz/HK for music; I can't tell the difference [​IMG] I suggest picking the receiver with features you want.
    Off hand, not much separates the two. Component switching on the 811, circle surround on the Marantz. IMO, that's the decision that needs to be made.
    To sum things up, I'd probably go for the 811 just for the money you should be able to save over the 4300; that could be spent on a better amp or better speakers.