Pioneer 811?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulDF, May 21, 2002.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Where can I learn more about the Pioneer 811? Can anyone sum up its features for me?

2. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

See the Pioneer website, you can see the specs online and also download the owners manual.

3. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

4. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

OK, thanks. So how much better is it than the 810? Looks like even less money, how can that be?

5. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

don't know about the 810, I just bought the 711 and I love it. without looking, I think the only thing you get extra with the 811 is teh 6.1 over 5.1.. Anyway, the features are great, connection options abundant, and power is sufficient to say the least. I got a deal on mine, because I bought at BB and got a free set of speakers, which I sold and brought the price down . [​IMG] Good luck with whatever you choose.

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I just got this sweet puppy a week ago. It has two assignable component inputs(meaning you can assign the components to whatever input name you want, kinda). Two assignable coax digital inputs, two assignable toslink inputs, one front toslink and svideo input, one toslink output. 7.1 channel inputs and preouts. Dolby Prologic II support, Dolby DIgital Surround EX(first non THX receiver to have this offically to my knowledge)DTS-ES(matrix and discreete), DTS NEO6(DTS's response to ProLogic II) and 7.1 speaker capabilities. For the price($399 or less depending on where you go) this is a pretty loaded receiver. My only main complaint about it is that there is not a dedicated button on the remote to switch to 6.1 modes. The remote is good for a receiver this price, and it is a learning remote. There is no OSD, so that is another bad point.

But there is too much good about this receiver to knock it alot. A wonderful piece of equipment, loving the 6.1 on my films now(ahhh...Star Wars in EX!!!!) and Pro-Logic II on Rogue Leader.

7. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    I concur with Sean...it's a really nice piece of equipment for the money (as low as $294 online + frt last I checked)

I'm really diggin mine....

Alfer

8. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Sounds great! But can I get it in Canada?

9. LinChen

LinChen Agent

I have had my D811S for almost a month now and am very happy wit h it. I have never ceased to amaze at its clear and detailed sound .And don't forget that this baby even has 6-channel pre-outs! I plan on getting a 3-channel amp for the main and center sspeakerssometime next year. The main reason I bought it instead of a Onkyo sr600 is because it has pre-outs!

Lin

10. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Lin,

I agree 100%, pre-outs protects the downside and can make a great performance upgrade. Most speakers love that extra power.

11. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I've been testing my Pioneer D811S for 2 weeks or so and besides a few quirks it has worked fairly well. I have it powering a pair of CSW Newton M50 bookshelf speakers for the fronts, a Newton MC300 for the center, and two pairs of S300 in the back and side. Music and movies are fairly detailed with a neutral sort of sound to it. They seem to match well with the warm sounding M50s - the S300s (really MC200s when in direct mode) sound somewhat brighter.

In wondering about the power capabilities, I looked at the specs again and noticed it says 300 watts for power consumption. I looked at the Onkyo SR600 manual and for the same spec listing, it said 5.5 amps. I was wondering if anyone can explain exactly what these mean. Is this the max load the amp will put on the electrical circuit?

cheers,

--tom

12. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I just bought the 810S, but now want to return it and buy the 811. I'm from Canada and the 811 is not available here yet. I would like the option of using Prologic II(the more options the better), but what the heck is Neo:6? These are about the only two differences that I can see. Besides the 811 does DTS-EX as well. I might get dinged for $150 to $200 between returning the 810 (if they'll let me) and shipping the 811 up here to the Great White North... Do you think its worth it? Will I have any warranty problems?

Thanks guys...

13. LinChen

LinChen Agent

Paul, they call NEO 6 the DTS version of Prologic II. Prologic is 4.1 matrix, Prologic II is 5.1 matrix and NEO:6 is 6.1 matrix. NEO 6 has two modes: Cinema mode and music mode.I prefer NEO 6 to Prologic II when listening to music in multi-channel mode.

Lin

14. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Anyone use it for the component switching capabilities? ANy signal degredation?

15. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

No degredation that I can tell... Isn't that part of an Audio/VIDEO receivers job?
    Hey, I also noticed that the 811 has no DSP modes while the 810 does. Do I care? Not really, they're pretty useless.
    Will somebody please tell me if I should switch from the 810 to the 811!! Far as I can tell, the price should remain the same, but I'll lose the 3 extra years warranty I paid 75 bucks for... But look at what I'd gain, EX, PLII, Neo6... And it looks better with the little red light[​IMG]

16. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

PaulDF,

actually the 810 has DD-EX...it's just not certified by Dolby. It's a proprietary matrixing algorithm they call advanced 6.1 or something like that. It works pretty darn well...but then DD-EX is a pretty simple extension of DD.

The no DP-II or DTS-NEO is big though, IMO. I've been watching a lot of TV with DPII (especially X-Files) and it certainly does add a lot to the ambiance. It doesn't do jack for music though.

17. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Thanks StevenK. What exactly does NEO do? Is it like 5 or 6 channel stereo? What does the 811 have in regard to 6 channel stereo? I need that option one way or the other, I'm sure the 811 must have it somehow. Anyone explain this for me?

18. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

DTS Neo6 is DTS's answer to Dolby's DPL II. I actually like it better than DPL II. The 811S has a 6 channel stereo setting which works well for music or tv if you like the same sounds to surround you completely.

I would definitely take the 811S over the 810S or the 850S.

cheers,

--tom

19. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

I second that. If the prices are similar or even if the 811s is a little more expensive, the features will make the purchase a smart move.

20. RockyZ

RockyZ Auditioning

Does anyone know of any good vendors with good prices for the 811s? Want to get one, but cheapest that I found was $359.99. Any help is appreciated.

Rocky