Pioneer 811 and NSP-1 speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimLinkous, Dec 6, 2002.

1. JimLinkous

JimLinkous Auditioning

I'm considering purchasing the Pioneer 811 to drive JBL NSP-1 speakers. It will be used as a second system in a family room, 90% HT and video games(XBOX), lots of kids, very little music. I think the 811 would be a good choice considering all the features and a price of $270. Want to keep this a budget system with kids in the house.

However, I have two areas of concern. I've seen the NSP1 speakers rated at 6ohms. Will the Pioneer drive these speakers since the specs state 8-16 ohms. Also, the crossover setting only goes down to 100 and the NSP1 are rated down to 80.

Anyone use the 811 with the NSP1's?

PS, I'm a newbie, please be easy on me.

Jim Linkous

2. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i have the Pioneer 810s and it drove my friends 4ohm speakers and i dident have any problems with it clicking or anything like that but then again something tells me that the amp inside the 810s is differant from the amp inside the 811s so im not exactly sure. but to be safe dont got below 8ohms, hmm if the pioneer can actualy handel 6oms is there a way to get something to make my towers look like 6ohms to the amp? the little extra power would be nice ...
    i'd usualy go by the manual but my reciver did push 4ohm set for a few hours so just maybe 6ohms is ok [​IMG]... im sure someone knows the answer with all the facts

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jim, my opinion is that it would probably drive them fine especially if you're not listening at really LOUD levels. Others have had problems but personally, I've never had problems driving two pairs of 8 ohm bookshelf speakers off of Pioneer receivers (D309) which presented the receiver with a nominal 4 ohm load - this was of course only in 2 channel stereo mode.
    As for the crossover, since the NSP1's only go down to 80Hz, 100 Hz is probably too low a crossover but it'll be fine. SOmething closer to 120Hz would probably be better. Remember, as I learned here [​IMG], that a crossover is not a brickwall - it is a gradual stepping down as the frequencies are faded in to one channel and faded out to the others.
    good luck,
    --tom

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm not sure where you read that the N24s and N Center in the NSP1 package are rated at 6ohms. They are 8ohm speakers. The Pioneer 811S will have no problem driving these. Also, you will want to set the crossover to 100hz, which is as low as the 811S goes, unless you're not going to be using a sub, and you'll need to set the speakers to large and the sub to off. As i'm sure you can tell the N24s are most definitely not large speakers, and you will need to add a powered sub to get reasonable performance.

Hope this helps.

5. MattMB

MattMB Agent

I've the Pioneer 811s, just delivered on Thursday, 12/5. I'm using a N-CenterII, a pair of N26-II as mains, and N24-II as the surround speakers. (same as NSP-1 set) I'll be picking up another set of the N24-II as the surround back speakers, since the 811s supports 6.1 and 7.1 setups.

I'm impressed with the quality of the sound from this reciever/speaker combo, but I can tell I need a sub with my N26s as mains, the N24 would really show the need for a sub.

I would recommend you pick up the NSP-1 speakers without hesitation. Nice speaker package and you can find it quite cheap online. You could then pick up something like the N28 or N36 speakers for the mains and then use the 4 N24s in the NSP-1 set for the surround channels and the N-Center in the package as your center channel.

I'm impressed with the 811s, sounds great, nice feature list, and is pretty cheap online, but I don't like the digital display on the front panel, everything is quite small other than the input display. I would purchase it again.