Pioneer 703 LD player..........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Corbin Stirn, May 18, 2001.

1. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Hi. I have a Pioneer 703 in immaculate shape (original box, remote, and manual. $300 plus shipping. This is listed in Streophile Guide as a best buy. I'm a master trader on the HTF Good trader's list. Thanks for looking!

2. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Price lowered. Come on people....this is one of the best laserdisc players ever made.

3. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Corbin,
    Does this model require a demod to play 5.1?
    PLMK-Thanks.
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd
    LD's / E-Quip / DVD's

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Todd,
    The 703 can't play Dolby Digital discs. The 704 is the same model with DD capability.
    ------------------

5. Nathan_H

Nathan_H Stunt Coordinator

Roughly, how many hours are on it?
    I'm mighty interested, though I'd want to talk about the price. Looks like the last one on eBay went for 200 + shipping.

6. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

OOPS......didn't think anybody would drag this out again. [​IMG] The player was sold. Let me know what you might be looking for though...........

7. Nathan_H

Nathan_H Stunt Coordinator

Woops! Didn't note the date of those posts till after I had posted...
    I'll start a new topic for this....
    I'm looking for something in the realm of the 704/703, or later vintage Elite models above the 59.
    I'm not too concerned with AC-3, DD, DTS, etc. Wouldn't mind some of the capability BUT 99% of the LDs (everything other than the early 90s Star Wars THX remsters) I have are older classics -- so their sound is mono, anyway.... so paying up for sound quality is of little interest to me. Image quality, on the other hand, is what I am looking for -- without going crazy (ie, certainly none of those $1k + Japanese models). Those b/w Criterion LDs deserve the best reproduction equipment I can throw at them.
    I'm guessing that everything in my stated realm can play both sides without manual flipping -- but if that's not a good assumption, one should consider it an additional criteria :)
    FYI: I'm mating the beast with an HD-compatible RPTV, with a good line doubler and filter -- so whether the LD player has a good S-video out is of no concern to me (I'll be using the composite out).