What's new

Pioneer 656a. Better than 563a? (1 Viewer)

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
I found the Pioneer 656a SACD-DVD-CD in a local store. Is it better than the 563a? It's MSRP is 300 pounds.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
the Pioneer if you want DVDA playback as well as SACD, I don't think the Philips does DVDA (although it will play the DD/DTS tracks on a DVDA disc)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
JohMabe: I own the Pioneer DV-656A that is sold here in the States and I bought it partly because I like Pioneer equipment but also because a couple of hobbyists I trust opened it up & they said it used some very nice Burr/Brown DACs that machines in the @$400-$600 range use (MSRP was $332 but I only paid $200 from Crutchfield.com back in March). BTW: mine only plays dvd-video/dvd-audio/CD (yours also does sacd); why Pioneer chose to use the same model number for both machines is very weird & the cause for quite a few confusing discussions until this was made clear! But mine is no longer on Pioneer's website.

This is my player.

I like mine: it sounds very good and has the most easily navigable (& of secondary importance) the best looking on-screen menu system I've personally seen on a dvd player in any price range.

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread