Pioneer 59Avi or Denon 3910 audio only?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bobby T, May 11, 2005.

1. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I'm in the last stages of deciding on my new system. I want a universal player that is good with CD as well as SACD and DVDA. My tv is a Samsung 30" widescreen hi def but only has comp in. I won't be upgrading the tv for a while. I'm assuming both have excellent picture quality over comp. My main focus is on the audio side and music. Good bass management is also important. This will be connected to either a Pioneer 56txi and B&K amp using i link which would kill the need for bass management, or a B&K pre/pro and B&K amp, or possibly a B&K receiver. The speakers will be Klipsch RF7, RC7, RF3-II, and RS3 with a 15" Titanic sub.

2. JohnThompson

JohnThompson Stunt Coordinator

John Thompson
    If you are using i.Link, I would go the Pioneer - it outputs "pure" DSD over firewire for SACD, while the Denon converts it to PCM first.

It I were using the analog outs, the Denon would be the way to go - time adjustment for SACD, better audio DACs, etc.

3. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Thanks. That is the exact kind of information I needed.

4. stephen shadow

err, I have the Denon and I do not necessarily think the DACS are better than the Elite. The Elite is a superb player and its ability to output high def audio by firewire is a huge advantage. I suspect they sound similar through the analog outputs, but both should be great.[​IMG]

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

It's a moot point since the 56TXI will do the conversion to do BM and TA.

6. Marc Doggett

Marc Doggett Agent

For unmodded units, with regard to CD(redbook), and MC SACD/DVD-A playback via analog outputs, I'd rank the dv-59 third behind the Denon 3910 and the Onkyo SP1000, which I liked best. YMMV.