Pioneer 563a vs. JVC 50bk

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by anthony_b, Jan 1, 2004.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'd like to know "VIDEO" wise which one would be better. I already have a SACD and DVD-A player. Most reviews on the Pioneer seem to focus more on the audio. I have the JVC 50BK and I find it to be OK. But since I have 30 days to return it I was wonderung if the Pioneer was $80 better than the JVC for Progresive Video mode only purposes.

(No need to mention the blue light, since I could disable it on mine...and my unit does not stutter).

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

After using my DVE disc, watching Monters Inc. and LOTR TT this player is a keeper for me. It's amazing how good it looks after some adjustments, and all this for $79. I was wondering if JVC released a modified version of this player since some of the complaints are the Blue Light (I think it's cool) but there's an option to dim it completley, so I was wondering if there was an earlier version that did not have this option.

my settings are:
    16:9 (auto)
    Film
    Cinema or User (1)

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No the Pioneer is no better for video (probably fewer features actually) than the bargain JVC. The only big think on the Pioneer is the SACD and DVD-audio on a relatively low priced player. The only significantly better video quality is with a Faroudja-based player, the cheapest are $250. I upgraded to a used Panasonic XP30 with Faroudja from a JVC and the XP30 is sharper and great de-interlacing. I just wanted the best DVD picture, I didn't care about DVD-audio or SACD.

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Hey Don - any experience or opinions about the JVC XV-600? The one with the DVD-A included and usually runs around $100? Just wondering b/c at this price point, I wouldn't be jumping an additional $60 for the 563A and it would just be a $20 jump from a bargain JVC.

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Ernest, I think that player was reviewed by "the absolute sound" magazine...It's DVD-A performance was better than players costing over 1k.

6. Ernest Yee

I take it that the video section is the same as the JVC 50BK?

7. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I think that model is last years, which had a very decent review from CNET.com (if you go by those things). But the video display I would say it's as good or better.

8. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I returned the xvn50bk because my video based concert DVD's were not up to my standards. (I have a lot of these). While OK for film, I couldn't keep the player around....I just ordered the Onkyo dvp-301, lets see if this one makes me happy.

9. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

For video-based DVDs the only good players will be those based on a Faroudja de-interlacer. Try a Mitsubishi DD-8040 or Denon DVD-910 or get a used Panasonic XP30 on EBAY like I did!

10. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm not sure if I really need a Faroudja de-interlacer for this. My old interlaced Panny did a fantastic job with film and video...I'm holding out on getting a high end player now until the new players come out this spring..[​IMG]

11. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

After 3 weeks of going thru DVD players under $120 :

a) Panasonic s25 (BLURRY)
    b) JVC 50BK (awfull video mode)
    c)Pioneer 563a (playback OK but I already have a dedicated sacd/dvd-a players)
    d) Onkyo dvsp-301

The onkyo gives me the best of both worlds (film/video based DVD's). Right out of the box I knew I was going to stay with this one. Colors were strong and accurate, the build quality is very decent and not to mention the only player in this price range to offer 1 yr parts and labor...I just hope it last a while until DVI becomes the standard.

12. Ernest Yee

Wait - this is just for progressive viewing, correct?

13. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Yes...all viewing was done in progressive mode.