Pioneer 563A - PAL->NTSC motion not smooth?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aaron_R_B, May 29, 2004.

1. Aaron_R_B

Aaron_R_B Extra

Hello ... I recently purchased a modified Pioneer 563A. On every PAL title I own, there seems to be a strange jerkiness that is really noticeable with any kind of motion. It seems to occur about four times a second, which makes any of these discs very difficult to watch. I've owned three other region-free players in the past (Philips DVP320F, GE 1101P, and even a Raite 715AV) and none of them had this problem ... not even the lowly Raite! If anyone has any ideas or helpful comments, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Mine is the same way. (Region 0 Pal -> NTSC)

-Dave

3. Aaron_R_B

Aaron_R_B Extra

Thanks for the response, Dave. That's really depressing since I was quite excited about exploring SACD and DVD-A. Does anyone know if there's a remedy to this problem? Switching from AUTO->PAL somehow?

4. Aaron_R_B

Aaron_R_B Extra

Sorry ... I meant AUTO->NTSC.

5. Dave Stone

Dave Stone Auditioning

Guys, I have a Jaton region free unit and posted about the same problem. My unit has a different chip set (i think) but the problems may be related. I don't have a HDTV so i'll have to deal with the shimmering for awhile.

Here's what I received from HKFlix:

Use your player in progressive scan mode with a progressive scan compatible TV. It's that last step of going to NTSC interlaced that introduces shimmering, so naturally using the progressive scan output instead of interlaced is the way to eliminate the problem. Using progressive scan will eliminate about 99% of shimmering.

If you guys are using progressive scan then there is something else wrong.

Hope this helps

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

That judder is normal. Its a byproduct of frame rate converison from 50hz to 60hz. Its most noticable on slow pans.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I don't notice it on my Malata though. If it's there, it's much more subtle and more pronounced on the Pioneer. It's very distracting on the Pioneer, almost unwatchable.

-Dave

8. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

It's there, I see it on the JVC. Same chipset as the Malata.

You really need to use the same material on both players. Find a scene that is really bad on the Pioneer and then compare it on the Malata.

9. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Mark,

I'm not sure the reason, but I've done a little experimenting with PAL on the 563 and it does appear to be almost unwatchable in PAL. It's nothing at all like the JVCs. I need to take some more time and play around with it in both progressive interlace modes to see if maybe I've just got it setup wrong.

Jeff

10. Aaron_R_B

Aaron_R_B Extra

Judder should be minimal with players that perform 3:2 pulldown, correct? Like I said before, on the other three players I own/have owned, I haven't experienced anything like this before.

11. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

2:3 Pulldown is for NTSC material. For PAL it would be 2:2 Pulldown and I've read most don't do that well.

Judder is caused from the frame rate conversion for 50hz to 60hz, not the above. The only time I notice it is on SLOW pans or the start of a PAN if it starts slow and speeds up. Do a search on Google, there are some good resources that discuss it in detail. In fact, Dale Adams did a very good job of it recently in the iScan HD thread over at avsforum.com (video processors forum).