What's new

Pioneer 563A Calibration Problem (1 Viewer)

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased the Pioneer 563A to supplement my JVC 500 all-region player. I plan to use it for R1 and DVD-A and SACD. Here's the problem I'm having: I connected coax digital, 5.1 analog cables and L/R analog cables to my Onkyo 595 receiver. I set the Pioneer player to "fixed" speaker levels, all "small" speakers w/SW "on" and decided to calibrate (using my RS meter) through my receiver. The Onkyo will allow you to set trims for all speakers in multi-channel mode as well as digital. I used my Avia disc for test tones and calibrated in MC mode. No problem. I then switched to Digital Coax mode and calibrated again. However, when I shut the receiver off and turn it back on, my digital settings all revert to a bizarre "pre-set" of sorts with the levels changing, and subwoofer dropping from +3 to -5! The analogue settings remain the same. I never have experienced this problem with the JVC. Am I missing something in the Pioneer settings? It's as though the Pioneer is controlling my receiver.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted

Rob Darst

Auditioning
Hi Ted,

According to the manual, the "variable" settings only affect the player's 6-channel analog outputs, regardless of whether you set them in "Initial Settings" or "Audio Settings." If that is true, then digital-out audio calibration must be done with your receiver's controls. (That's how I did it.)

One other thing: After setting my variable speaker settings the first time, the settings later mysteriously went back to factory default. I did it again and they seem to have stuck. Perhaps I did not press the appropriate enter/return/menu buttons the first time around.

Good luck!

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Rob,

I think I solved the problem by setting the levels within my receiver menu. I never had to do that with my other player, a JVC 500 all-region. That one can be set "on the fly". Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the JVC doesn't have a built-in DAC and the Pioneer does? At any rate, all is well.

Again thanks for your reply,
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks