What's new

Pioneer 563A and its audio cables VS Fiber optic (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
To repeat my self:

DVD-A/SACD - 5.1 Analog Cables
DVD-V - Digital (optical or coax)

Lew, with only a few exceptions (high dollar Denon, Meridian, or Pioneer products), DVD-A and SACD do NOT trasmit through the digital connection, so to get what you are paying for with hi-rez, you MUST use the 5.1 analog cables.

Its not a question of what sounds better. With a 563, its analog or nothing.

And it is likely that DD/DTS will sound better using the digital connection to your receiver because Bass Management and Time Alignment will likely work better in your receiver.

By all means, try it both ways, but I think you will find the receiver does a better job with DD/DTS.

BGL

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Lew.

Does anyone know which component would be the best decoder, so i can figure out if i want to use the audio cables or a optical?
Pioneer 563A
Yamaha HTR - 5650
I could also get the Yamaha HTR 5660 i think it is...the next step up and its like a $100 more or so....i could return the 5650 if people think it will make a big diffrence.

I'm slowly starting to figure things out..did i mention i'm going crazy having to wait until the 30th to get my stuff!

Walt N

Second Unit
Lew, FWIW, unless using the 6 analog outputs, one is completely unable to pass signals with a higher than 48kHz sampling rate. DVD-A needs 96kHz processing for M/C and up to 192kHz for 2ch. SACD has similar requirements.

Using the six analog outputs is necessary to reap the benefit of DVD-A or SACD, and most people will find the difference to be clearly audible on an even halfway decent system. This is quite different than a (for example) Kimber vs. Rat Shack speaker wire debate where the difference may not hold up to blind testing.
----------------------------------------------------

Dustin, if you read the manual and play with the menus a bit once you get the unit, most of your questions will be answered and the whole thing will make much more sense.

I will add this though, if you are not going to use the DVD-A or SACD music capabilities of the player, you won't need the 3 pairs of audio cables. A single optical or coaxial audio cable from one of the digital outputs will do what you need for all DVD movie watching. By the same token, if you're not going to use DVD-A or SACD you also don't need the capabilities of this player. A cheaper player will do movies just as well, or arguably better if it's a good one.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Lew, FWIW, unless using the 6 analog outputs, one is completely unable to pass signals with a higher than 48kHz sampling rate. DVD-A needs 96kHz processing for M/C and up to 192kHz for 2ch. SACD has similar requirements.

Using the six analog outputs is necessary to reap the benefit of DVD-A or SACD, and most people will find the difference to be clearly audible on an even halfway decent system. This is quite different than a (for example) Kimber vs. Rat Shack speaker wire debate where the difference may not hold up to blind testing.
Thanks Walt. I was not aware of the sampling rates required for DVD-A, etc. Most probably because I continue to exist in the 2-channel world for music and only use 5.1 for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks