Pioneer 563 in latest S&V

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brian L, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Anyone else see this? It was in my mailbox today.

I won't spoil anyones fun, but one thing that caught my eye was that the crossover frequencies change with the format. That is not unusual, and many uni-players do it, but check out these numbers:

For CD and DVD, it's 100 hz, for SACD it's 120 hz, and for DVD-A it's 200 Hz (OUCH!).

I suppose 100 and 120, while not optimal, is liveable for many (and in fact preferable if you have smallish speakers), but 200 Hz for DVD-A seems a bit extreme.

I predict an up-tic in ICBM sales!

But on the plus side, it is said to do TA for SACD. That is pretty rare.

BGL

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

200 Hz? That's wierd in that I remember that the 45a and 47ai was also 120 Hz (or maybe 100 Hz?) for DVD-A. Kind of like going backwards...

I don't think a person who spends $200 on a player is gong to drop another $200 on an ICBM though... [​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Double post...

I will be curious as to the noise results, and bit resolution for DVD-A/SACD. Most players they review only measure to about 18 bit resolution. Even the expensive ones.

4. JohnnyCasaba

JohnnyCasaba Agent

That would explain Walt N's statement made back in early August when he first got the player:

While experimenting with Yes-"Fragile", the opening acoustic guitar on "Roundabout" is directed to the L&R main speakers. With the bass management on, the bottom half of that guitar got redirected to my subs and it created a nasty cacophony of rattling grills and resonance. The subs are two of the first 16-46CS models that Tom and Ron built so while the drivers got upgraded some time ago, they have the old style screw down grills on top and the Sonotube cabinets. I screwed down the grills some more and the rattle is gone, but those large drivers in those thin tubes aren't happy reproducing frequencies that high.

Remembered this comment, thought it might interest others.

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Lewis (or someone)- Do you remember the relation between s/n dB and bits? Isn't 96 dB the theoretical limit for CD? Or maybe 104? Shoot... And I remember 24 bits as being something astronomical like 146 or something? Maybe? [​IMG]

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

You're thinking Dynamic Range.
    S/N ratio[theory] for CD is around -76db 16bit,but I don't know the exact formula to figure say -90db into bits,maybe someone smarter can?

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Naaggh. CD Has to be better than -76 dB. [​IMG] I just copied my turntable manual for someone recently, and it was rated 78 dB (s/n).

Same thing, right? Dynamic range is just referenced to the noise figure. Signal-to-noise. dB is a ratio of two numbers. ??

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Naaggh. CD Has to be better than -76 dB. [​IMG] I just copied my turntable manual for someone recently, and it was rated 78 dB (s/n).

Same thing, right? Dynamic range is just referenced to the noise figure. Signal-to-noise. dB is a ratio. ??

Shoot. I know I've seen this somewhere else. Might have to look for it now.

Or maybe the noise number is the absolute lowest level of the noise floor, while s/n is the ratio of what you're playing vs noise floor as the volume changes. Or something. [​IMG]

But then dynamic range is the same as s/n. "Loudest" resolvable signal level vs the minimum that isn't obscured by the noise floor.

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I must be thinking of s/n then for CD vs SACD/DVD-A... Be nice if they had one of these for a player! [​IMG]

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

16 bit example is the same for CD players.
    Also check out the section for multi channel inputs noise figures,this can be a "limiter" for SACD/DVD-A players,if the current analog connections mantained,and players gets better,which they do.