Pioneer 563 - 2 ch. SACD/DVD-A set up question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ron Reda, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Since I only have a pair of Kimber PBJs, I want to run the 563 in 2-channel mode (to my front L/R speakers) for SACD/DVD-A. However, I'm not quite sure if I've set it up correctly. Here's what I did: Running my fronts in "large" mode, I hooked the PBJs up to the 2-channel L/R analog outs (not the the front L/R outs in the 5.1 analog out section) to my processor. Then, I selected "2-channel" area in the settings menu so that the player reads the 2-channel stereo layer of the disc. Now, I obviously hear sound from my fronts, but I wanted to make sure that the music that I'm hearing is in fact "hi-res". Towards the back of the manual in a chart, it states that running the 563 in 2-channel mode forces the player to output a "downmix" and I wasn't sure what that meant. Does it mean that it's downmixing the hi-res 5.1 mix so that 2-channel can accomodate it or does that mean that it is lowering the resolution so that it can be heard in 2-channel? Help!!!

***Added 8/24: I don't want to use my sub for SACD/DVD-A playback.***

2. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Right now you're not getting high resolution from your discs. Use just the main L and R of the 6 analog preouts on the 563 and you'll be set.

Don't forget to disable the digital output in the "Initial Settings" menu per the tip on page 54 of the manual. At least one person has found that it does make a difference for 192kHz sources.

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Walt N,

So let me get this straight...use the front L/R outputs of the 5.1 analog pre-outs and leave the SACD layer setting set to "2-channel"?

4. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Yep, that ought to do it Ron.

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Thanks, Walt!

Just curious, is there any display on this model where it says what sampling rate it's outputting, much like a DVD player that shows you the bitrate?

6. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Yes, if you press the button labeled "audio" it will show on the monitor among other things the sampling rate with CD, DD, DTS, and DVD-A.

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Thanks Walt...you've been very helpful! [​IMG]

8. Gary DeRoy

Gary DeRoy Stunt Coordinator

Ron, I hope I'm answering this in the right thread. It sounds like you're on the right track. The stereo R/L analog and FR/FL 5.1 channel outputs should be the same.
    Set the 563 to stereo output, set front speakers to Large and all others to None. If you're not using digital audio out, turn it off, too.
    Under Initial Settings / Options, set SACD to go to 2 channel.

There is a button on the lower right corner of the remote called "display". It'll show the transfer rate and mode of DVD-A, DD5.1 and DTS, but not SACD or CD.