What's new

Pioneer 50" Projection TV model #SD-P502 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Cress

Auditioning
Does anyone know where to find info about this TV or an online manual. The problem is that you can turn the TV on for about five minutes but it will click and shut off. You have to unplug the TV from outlet and plug it back in and it will come right back on without hitting power on remote or TV and stay on for about two min then off again. Seems to be a thermal problem. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem or may know the exact part that may be bad.Thanks

JimmyD

Auditioning
Kevin,

Sorry this reply is 2 months later - I just found the forum - but I've got the exact same problem with my SD-P504. I took it to a service shop and they reported that the power supply needed to be replaced ($400). I can't tell you all the facts because the service guy is slavic with a very heavy accent. I'm intending to get a second opinion on the problem but would be interested to know if you've taken yours in for repair and got the same answer.

Regards,

James

JimmyD

Auditioning
Kevin (and anyone else with this problem):
After more searching I found a few forums designed for technical repair personnel that discussed the power off problems seen on Pioneers. One is:
http://www.anatekcorp.com/faq/archprotv.htm
and it has a posting of:
---------------------------------------------
QUESTION NO. P210-2: I have a rear-projection Pioneer that clicks both relays when you hit the power button, but has no HV. If you hit the power button again, nothing. When you unplug the unit and plug it back in, it clicks again. I checked all solder joints, and all fuses are o.k. (with no visible signs of resistor or capacitor failure). I suspect the HV transistor adjacent to the flyback, and was wondering if these units had any known problems with symptoms like this.
ANSWER: Pioneer has been known to develop numerous ring and surface cracks on both the power/sweep board and signal processing board. Remove the power/sweep board from the chassis and re-solder as many questionable connections that you can find. Then take a high power mag glass and go over it again. Also check the power large resistors in the power supply and deflection circuits for opens. Check all output components for leakage or opens.
---------------------------------------------
Digging a little more I finally got in touch with a local repair guy who explained to me that Pioneer requests that any power boards with similar suspect solder problems be sent back to Pioneer and to install a reconditioned board ($500 - $700). The tech explained to me that, while it is possible for him to do the resoldering, if he ends up having to do the whole board that could run into the $300-$400 range particularly if he has to install/remove the board several times to make sure it works.
After discussing this, my better half and I decided it was an opportune time to invest in a 55" widescreen HDTV.
My parting comment is that I bought the SD-P504 because in 1990 I considered it to have one awesome picture and after 11 years of almost daily use I still think the picture looked great. No regrets on my part for the purchase.
Regards,
James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks