What's new

Pioneer 5.1 receiver for under $50!!! (1 Viewer)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I got an email today about a virus. It sounds similar to this not being a valid address for UPS. I checked it out at Snopes.com and according to them, it's a real virus. See here:
snopes.com: UPS/FedEx Delivery Failure

The actual email:

UPS
> said that
> > they don't send out information as an attachment.
> > Paty
> >
> >
> > With Christmas fast approaching, watch out for
> this...be
> > alert.
> > The newest virus circulating is the "UPS Delivery
> > Failure."
> > You will receive an email from UPS Packet Service
> along
> > with a packet number. It will say that they were
> un-able to
> > deliver a package sent to you on such and such a date.
> It
> > then asks you to print out the invoice copy attached.
> > DON'T TRY TO PRINT THIS. IT LAUNCHES THE VIRUS!
> > Pass this warning on to all your PC operators at work
> and
> > home.
> > This virus has caused millions of dollars of damage.
> >
> > Snopes confirms that it is real:

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, just replied there Ed, thanks.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I could understand that being a possibility once or twice, but there's about 3 or 4 of us now that the 'refund' was issued to with no reason (though Dorian did explain it in one of the folks here).

If it happens that many times, I'd be inclined to check and see if there's something going on (like preparing the shipment online via UPS or FedEx or possibly calling one of their local UPS Store/Kinkos/FedEx stores), three or four times with the same problem is just too often to be coincidence...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Mr. Bryant has been asked to contact the staff. Until he does, he will not be able to read or respond to PMs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I posted this in the other thread as well...

FWIW, I am in charge of operations and shipping for an online retailer. We do not use UPS for outgoing shipments, though most of our incoming ones are by UPS and we receive dozens of shipments per week. There have been no issues with sending by USPS or FedEx, and no issues receiving by UPS. We have also not been notified of any problems. We have experienced no problems verifying addresses. FedEx uses the USPS database for address verification and I presume UPS does as well.

Even if there is a problem with verification, the fact this "Seller" just runs people through hoops, than refunds with zero explanation does not excuse things.

EDIT: Looking at the spam linked above, it has nothing to do with address verification. It is just a phish sent out randomly trying to lure people into clicking the link. I see no reason that would be related to this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks