What's new

Pioneer 49tx v. 47tx (1 Viewer)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I was in the new Magnolia Hi-Fi in Palo Also today, and I noticed that they had these 2 receivers. I have to admit, I wasn't seriously considering upgrading until I saw them. I know it seems shallow, but their looks blew me away. Those are the spiffiest looking components I have seen in along time. So I covet them.

Anyway, my question is this. I am very interested in the MCACC feature. Is it the same on both models, or is it more advanced on the 49tx? Someone said the 49tx had more advanced MCACC in a thread here a while back, but I cannot find any support for that statement anywhere. I ask, because all other specs that matter to me are the same between the 2, and the 47tx is almost a grand less...

Robert Keeler

Auditioning
It's more advanced on the 49TX, whereas the two front left & right can also be affected by the MCACC. The 49 also has the video conversion so that composite and S-VHS inputs are converted to Component. Plus a couple of extra digital inputs. Otherwise performance would be the same.

Robert

RajeeK

Second Unit
Yes, the 49TX has a more advanced MCACC. It has 9 band equalization for room modes vs 5 bands for the 47TX. The 49TX also has more processing power than the 47TX. Also the 49TX has a video conversion feature so you only need a single component input to the TV. Both are excellent models though. Here are links below that will help you out with more info on these.
Link Removed
Link Removed
The 49TX and MCACC were discussed a lot in the below thread.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=69283

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Doh! I was hoping you weren't going to say that. Now I have to pony up more doe for the 49tx.

BTW, are those the coolest looking components you've ever seen or what? Looking at them right next to the Denon 5803 and 4802, I felt like a little kid, thinking, "I want the *shiny* one."

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Heh, yeah. It doesn't look as good in the pix as it does in person though. I always thought it looked kinda cool, then I saw it in person. Also, man it's freakin HUGE, height wise. Takes up like almost the vertical space that 2 of my Denons would take up.

Say, how does that MCACC work out for you? Does it dramatically improve the sound compared to manual calibration? One thing about it that interests me is that I don't feel comfortable with my competence in calibrating myself.

RajeeK

Second Unit
Say, how does that MCACC work out for you? Does it dramatically improve the sound compared to manual calibration? One thing about it that interests me is that I don't feel comfortable with my competence in calibrating myself.
Well all the 49/47TX users who post here love MCACC. It really does help smooth out sound response between speakers in the room. I always use it and love it. I don't think I would say dramatic is a word I would use, but it really does help. Getting late though. Time to say good night.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Okay, here's a question. I downloaded the manual for this beast (pdf) and went through it page by page. Apparently it will not only upconvert S-Video to Component, but Composite to Component as well. This means that somewhere in there is a comb filter, right?

Unfortunately, there are no specs for a comb filter listed anywhere in the manual. So, does anyone here know what kind of video performance I can expect from this machine? Does it have a nice, awesome 3-D Digital comb filter in there, or am I going to be better off hooking my composite sources directly to my Mitsubishi WS-65907?

On one hand, I'd expect the performance of the video conversion to be exemplary on a unit that has an MSRP of over $4,000; but on the other hand, it is primarily an audio component, not a video one.

-Lyle J.P.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Don't know if it has a comb filter but if you're buying this level of receiver, what composite sources are you using!?

I feed my s-vhs vcr into it and it looks good (via component out).

RajeeK

Second Unit
It's THX Ultra2 specification means there is no "visible" degradation via standardized tests with component out and component switching.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Don't know if it has a comb filter but if you're buying this level of receiver, what composite sources are you using!?
My laserdisc player, for one. Yes, it has an S-video connector as well, but it has a rather dissapointing 2 line digital comb filter, and I find that I get better performance hooking the player up to the television using composite and letting the TV's comb filter do the work.

-Lyle J.P.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Lyle - that doesn't make much sense to me since your TV has to take a WORSE signal (composite) and 'clean it up'. But if it works for you, that's all that counts.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
You don't understand how video is stored on a laserdisc apparently. Like VHS, the luma and chroma channels are stored together, they are not separate like on a DVD or SVHS recording. Because of this, they must be separated by a comb filter. Now, if I use the S-Video output of the laserdisc player, then I am using the lasersdisc player's comb filter. If I hook it to my TV via composite, then I am using the television's comb filter. In my case, the television's comb filter is superior to the laserdisc player's.

What I'd like to know is what sort of comb filter the VSX-49TX contains, as the "video upconvert" feature is really the only thing that would make me spend $800 more on a 49TX over a 47TX. The 5-band versus 9-band MCACC doesn't impress me, and I hate the LCD remote that came with the 39TX, and the 49's looks to be similar. So basically, I need to know the video performance of this unit, specifically how well it converts a composite source to component.

-Lyle J.P.

Dan Seliger

Stunt Coordinator
Lyle, i gave up trying find out the answer to that same question and just ordered the 47TX yesterday...just got dropped off and i cant wait to play with it tonight! :)
I still would be curious to know if anyone finds the answer though. My only non-component output is my VCR though.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Upconverting composite to component is not going to make it look any better. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

NTSC = Never Twice the Same Color.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks