Pioneer 45tx/43tx a good match for B&W?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daneel, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

I'm returning my Marantz SR7300 receiver due to problems and so need a replacement.

I have a few queries about the Pioneers and would be greatful for any input.

1. Will the Pioneer sound match well with my B&W 600 series speakers? What IS the Pioneer sound? I've never heard a Pioneer amp before.

My setup is as follows:

B&W DM602s3
    B&W DM601s3
    B&W LCR60s3
    Velodyne CHT-10

2. I'm concerened about the shutdown problem some people have experienced with these recievers. Particularly so because I know my speakers can drop to 3-4 Ohms at some frequencies. Has anyone run one of these amps with B&Ws, any problems?

3. Any comments on the remote control? I like the remote for the Marantz, I can control all my equipment from it (TV, VCR, DVD, CD, Digital box). The functions on the remotes for the 45tx/43tx look very similar but I like the look of the 43tx's better.

4. How do these recievers compare to the SR7300 in terms of sound, muscial/movie ability, etc.

5. Any opinions on the 45tx vs 43tx debate. Is the auto-setup feature (there are some other benifits) worth an extra £155($240)?

I'm also considering the Denon 3802 and 3803.

This thread in AVS forums sheds some light on the shut-down problems I mentioned.

I'm in the UK where model numbers are diferent, the 45tx is the D2011 here and the 43tx is the D1011. Specs can be found here

Pricing is like this:

43tx £555 ($860)
    3802 £600 ($930)
    45tx £712 ($1100)
    3803 £750 ($1160)

I know that's a lot of questions. Please help me out and give any information you can.

Thanks

2. SeanOsborne

SeanOsborne Auditioning

I bought the 43 about a month ago. The remote can control all my peripherals (except the XBOX) and the receiver is better than the Sony ES, Yamaha, and Kenwood I went through before purchasing the Pioneer.

The main difference between the 43 and 45 is that the 45 comes with a microphone to automatically set up the levels for each individual speaker so you don't have to manually adjust. The other difference is you get a better remote (I think). Wasn't worth it for me so I bought the 43 on sale just after Xmas for $799.00.

I think I got a good deal...

3. Jorge Garcia

Jorge Garcia Auditioning

I am about to buy this receiver (1.100 euros here)

Quote from your link to Pioneer UK:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    For ‘regular ’ 5.1-channel set-up, VSX-D2011-S can be configured to bi-amp the front left and right speakers, making it the perfect choice for audiophiles and cinephiles alike.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded the VSX-45TX pdf manual and have not found reference to "bi-amp".

Do you know how to implement this feature ?

TIA
    Jorge

4. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

*bump

I'm still not sure. This rumour about them possibly fixing the 4 Ohm speaker problem is bugging me.

Anymore opinions?

I'm now also looking at the Arcam AVR200, the Rotel 1055 and the NAD 752.

I use my receiver for about 60% music, 20% TV/VCD (DPLII), 20% DVD.

5. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Daneel, that link you posted only sheds speculation thus far. No one in that thread has spoken to Pioneer to confirm anything. And thus far, only two people (haven bought from the same reseller) have claimed what the reseller has said.

Until additional resellers make the same claim, or someone verifies it with an area Pioneer rep there isn't anything else to go on but speculation.

Additionally, I have shut down ALL Pioneer Elite receivers currently available during my search for a good receiver. Upon hearing a reseller tell me its a known design condition from a sensitive protection circuit, its not difficult at all to shut the receivers down.

As I said before, I would rather have an overly sensitive protection circuit protecting my speakers from clipping than allow it to bake speakers costing 3.5 times what the receiver cost me. YMMV.