Pioneer 440 pricing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Miller, Feb 4, 2002.

1. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

I've read numerous threads here as well as many of the reviews on audioreview.com re: the Pioneer 440.

The posts here, and there, suggest that this unit can be found at sears or bestbuy for under $200.

Problem is, Best Buy (.com) sells the unit for $299 and it is not on the Sears.com website at all.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, bestbuy.com sells the '440 for $299? That makes no sense. Every Best Buy brick-and-mortar store I've been to sells it for $180, and they have it on sale every so often for $160. Check www.crutchfield.com . I'm sure they sell it for $180. Also check OneCall (1-800-340-4770) and J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) for competitive pricing. Both are authorized dealers. Anyway, the standard price for the '440 is $180. OneCall and J&R could have it for less.

3. James Miller

Yes, BB has it, online at least, for $299:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...at=32&scat=244
    Obviously if I go with this player it will be elsewhere... My expereriences with J&R are not good..... Recently I was moving into the 5.1 age... J&R was out of stock on three of the four items I was looking for... Receiver, bi-wire speaker cables and JBL surround speakers... The only thing they DID have in stock was a JBL center speaker...
    For $20 more I'd rather get it from Crutchfield... from whom I've had great experiences..
    Of course if someone could recommend a better DVD player (interlaced a/v is top priority), progressive a distant second, sacd a third... :)
    ps................ the bb.com website indicated that only one local store had this model, I called them and, indeed they verified the price at $180...... I will shoot off an email to bb.com leting them know of the discrepancy... good way to scare off potential customers

4. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

I picked this player up from a local BB. It listed for $180 in the store; however, I was able to get an open box for $129 [​IMG]. The player is great... very quick loading, menu is laid out nicely, plays MP3s with ease and picture quality is quite nice for a sub $300 player. [​IMG]

5. James Miller

Any comparisons, a/v wise, with a top of the line, albeit first-gen Sony 7000? I I were to above the $300 threshold what line/model would I look for?

6. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to know how it compares to other players in video quality. Specifically, how is it compared to a Toshiba 3109? (An early 99' model)