What's new

Pioneer 42" panel died today (1 Viewer)

Jim Ogilvie

Stunt Coordinator
Another dead panel tale of woe. Hoping someone can take an educated guess as to the problem with it based on what happened.

I was watching TV for about 20 minutes, when a fairly loud BANG came from the panel. It turned off at that point. I immediately disconnected it from power and went behind it to see if I could see anything burning, or smell anything burning. Nothing.

I waited about 15 minutes and plugged it into another outlet (one that was switched so I could turn it off right away in case the panel started to burst into flames - lol). It seemed to want to cycle (i.e. the standby light was on).

When I turned on the power button from the remote, it clicked but then clicked again and the standby light began to blink twice in succession, repeatedly.

So I am guessing based on what I am seeing that the power supply should be ok, otherwise I would see no action from the standby light or have gotten the pre-cycle click. The bang was not quite as loud as a firecracker, but about the same volume as dropping a book flat on a concrete floor from about 6 feet.

My worst fear would be the panel itself having died, which I imagine would be the most expensive thing to replace.

The model is a Pioneer Plasma 433MXE which I purchased in Australia around 2003 and brought back with me here to Canada.

Any insight/advice?

While I'm waiting I think I will go play some PS3 - DOH! Can't! Er..maybe watch some TV...DOH DOH!

(sobs)

kopo

Auditioning
Real Name
JASON
Just had the same problem with my 2003 50' Elite Pro 1000. Pioneer fixed it for free. If you still need help with your tv drop me a line and I'll help you out. Jason

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
call for service.
the good news is that pricing has been dropping each year and the quality has been increasing each year. (if you need to get a new one).
Make sure you calculate the cost of replacement vs the cost of repair.
good luck

gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks