What's new

Pioneer 1018 receiver (1 Viewer)

Jeff16

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
I am getting ready to buy an A/V receiver to match up to my Energy 5.1 speakers and am leaning towards the Pioneer 1018. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me. Thanks in advance for any replies!

1) Is there a difference between the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K and the Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K (currently sold at BB)? Is one a newer model / with new features?

2) This is probably a stupid question, but my speakers have a recommended amp power of up to 125 watts. The Pioneer 1018 says it puts out 130W per channel. Is this a problem or nothing to worry about?

3) Any indications that the Pioneer receivers will go on sale like they've been in the past ($300-$450)? I see it was in that range a few weeks ago, but is now at $540 at BB. My tv is coming in a week so I'd be looking to buy soon after that if not before.

THanks!

Jeff

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Things always go on sale eventually. Especially with the 1019 comming out soon (I think). Besides, you might get a better price on-line anyway.

Jeff16

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the responses Gene. That is good to know about the watts ratio...I would probably never even turn it up to 75%, so I can see how it's not a concern. The BB site must be showing it as a typo because I've never seen that model elsewhere too. Don't want to wait till April, so I'm hoping for a sale soon. Thanks again!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm the 1018TXh is a misprint... the 101x line has had the TX suffix up until the 1018 because they have carried THX certification (with the H being added to models with HDMI). It looks like Best Buy kept the prior TXh suffix either due to oversight or potentially due to the 1018 actually being anounced as a TXh model early on before it actually made it to market.

The 1018AH does not carry THX certification, though its chassis, amplification, and core features are identical to the Elite 01TXh. The certification was dropped to create more market differentiation between the top-end Pioneer and entry level Elite models (which had been eroded ever since the 1014TX was released). The overlap of past models is as follows:

VSX-D811K => Elite VSX-41
VSX-D912K => Mid Cycle, no equivalent Elite
VSX-1014TX => Elite VSX-52TX
VSX-1015TX => Mid-Cycle, no equivalent Elite
VSX-1016TXV => Elite VSX-80TXV
Mid-Cycle, no equivalent Pioneer => Elite VSX-90TXV
VSX-1018AH => VSX-01TXH

The Elite equivalent models usually include some very minor extra features geared towards the custom-install community such as RS-232 ports, 12v Triggers, and most recently switched power outlets. The lack of a 12v Trigger used to be easily overcame by attaching a 12v wall-wart DC adapter to the switched power plug, but now that those are gone too, it's hared to improvise, though a current-sensing-trigger power-strip is usually still much less than the price difference between the non-Elite and Elite equivalent.

There are some other strange overlapping models that are Canada/Europe/Japan specific and not widely available in the US... these include non-Elite branded versions of the 45TX, 53TX, as well as non-Elite branded versions of other products such as LD players and DVD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks