Pioneer 1015

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris_L_C, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Chris_L_C

Chris_L_C Auditioning

Hello all,

First post here, and heres what I got:

Pioneer VSX-D458 receiver
    Pioneer DV-C302D DVD Player
    Pioneer 100-disc CD changer
    2 -- Cerwin Vega E715 Loud Speakers as fronts (400 watt)
    KLH Center, surrounds, and sub

I am wanting to upgrade to a Pioneer 1015 receiver. I have an HD built in plasma with the HDDVR from time warner. Would this be an appropriate upgrade? If other recommendations please let them out as well. Reason for upgrade, to get the later technology (as the 458 is going on 8 yrs old) and to push a bit more power to my CVs.

Thanx

2. GaryDW

GaryDW Auditioning

I am very pleased with my 1015.

I'm driving:
    Polk RTi10's mains
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk FXi5's surrounds and rears
    Cerwin Vega sub

I've had several Pioneers so I might be a little biased. I did own a Denon once that died on me 2 months after the extended warranty expired. By that time SACD and DVD-A were calling my name so I picked up a Pioneer VSX-812k, the sound was little weak so I moved it to the wife's system and picked up the 1015. The MCACC is great if you learn how to tweak it a bit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gary

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Chris, you stated that you are wanting current technology and more power.
    Are you after better sound as well?
    If so, you would do better upgrading your speakers first.
    If you don't wanna do that, then yeah, a newer receiver might give you a little more, but it might not be as much as you are expecting.

As far as the 1015. In my opinion, it is a great value for the money. Plus you can always add an amp to it down the road.

4. Chris_L_C

Chris_L_C Auditioning

My speakers are ok, esp the CVs, they are the same age, but what technology can change in speakers?? Im not too savvy when it comes to electronics tech, now give me cars Im your man. I went ahead and got the 1015 ordered, should have it this week sometime.

How does one hook an amp up to a powered receiver? The 1015 pushes 120w per channel, will that 120 get amplified by the amp power (ie 120w amp plus the receiver gives me 240w? is that how it works?).

5. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

Chris,

The way you would do this is connect the 1015 to the extra amp via the 1015's pre-amp outputs.

This is the same type of output that you use to hook up the sub, but you have similar outputs for all of the channels.

This passes the signal straight through the receiver and bypasses the amplifier -- thus "pre-amp." (So the 1015's 120w/channel is irrelevant)

The idea is that you can still use the 1015 as a control center, but pass the audio signal to a more high-end stand-alone amplifer, to which the speakers would be connected.

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

What's the difference between the four cylinder engine used in a Chevy Cobalt and the one used in a Honda S2000?