Pioneer 1015 or HK335 with Klipsch...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Lane_d, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Lane_d

Lane_d Auditioning

Anyone have either powering Klipsch speakers? I've heard HK's have a nice warm sound that goes well with Klipsch. What about the Pioneer? Will it sound bright? Should I be concerned about the HK's low power rating compared to the pioneer?

Thanks

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The auto EQ of the Pioneer tends to make speakers sound brighter. I do not know if the HK335 has auto EQ and if it does, how it will make your speakers sound.

I am sure others will add more answers to your question.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Both receivers have a 'warm' sound and they are both awesome.

I own the HK 635 as well as a full Klipsch setup (F3/C3/B3/SUB-12) and some Chorus II's and Heresy II's...and some JBL's.........

Anyway, the Harman Kardon is a great match for my system, poorly recorded music can still sound a bit harsh, but anything that is even decently recorded sounds amazing, a open window on the sound.

Just see what you like the look and feel of better, they will both be fine.

The Pioneer will have more power from what I understand, but both should be stupid loud with your Klipsch's.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Arthur,

I have the Pioneer 54TX receiver and speakers with horn tweeters similar to Klipsch. Actually, my auto EQ setup made cuts to the higher frequencies when it was run. If anything, the Pioneer auto EQ might tame some speakers and not make them brighter.

Again, though, this is just how it ran in my situation with my room and speakers.

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Wayne

I said that because that is what SoundandVision mag said in a recent issue in which they tested the Pio 815. I guess that the EQ in the 1015 is different.

I don't own a a receiver with EQ, so I defer to those who do.

6. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I own a AVR 435. I believe the 335 has auto calibration but not auto EQ. This is why I went up to the 435. The 335 is really nice however. It really depends if you think you would use this. IMO the 335 is a bit beefier than the 1015. But the 1015 does have a few more nice features.

As stupid as it sounds, as was mentioned above, looks might be a deciding factor in this case. As both receivers are very nice, and have very different designs.

7. Lane_d

Lane_d Auditioning

Thanks for the replys, everyone. I may try a refurb 330 or 430 from the HK online store.

8. Lane_d

Lane_d Auditioning

Thanks to everyone for the replys. I may try a 330 or 430 refurb from the HK online store. Anyone had any experience with the HK refurbs?

Thanks again.

9. balzac

balzac Agent

Do you have a link to their store?

10. Dan J

Dan J Agent

stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio

11. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

I just got a remanufactured 330 from ebay/harman-audio for a very, very low price. It arrived on my doorstep a week later. Great transaction, everything went well. You can definitely get them for lower than even the Harmanaudio.com online direct store.

For the week I've had it, it has performed great. I upgraded from an AVR125, which I had for 3 years, and I am very happy with HK stuff.

12. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

I recently tried out both the Pioneer VSX-1015TX and the H/K AVR-235 (not much different than the 335). My friend was trying out both receivers as he was deciding which one to buy. For comparison we also compared my Sony STR-DA4ES to the two...

The comparo was done with my Athena AS-F2s as well as with his AS-B2s and also the bipole Athena surrounds (I think they were AS-R1s?).

The MCACC on the Pio is a lot more advanced than the EasySet thing the H/K had. As someone else has mentioned EasySet (which appears to be the auto-calibration featured on the 335 as well) has no EQ; EasySet+ however (available on the 435 and higher it seems) does have the EQ.

The entire Auto-MCACC process for the Pio was far more in-depth in terms of its accuracy and what it does. Furthermore it was way easier to use than the H/Ks EasySet.

The Pio also had a far better remote than the AVR-235. I don't know what the 335s remote is like but if it is the same (or similar) to the one with the 235, then it is a pretty clumsy and counter-intuitive remote.

The Pio is also cheaper (well in Canada at least, dunno about Stateside).

In the end my friend picked the Pio, pretty much for the above reasons. However the H/K, as a receiver, was certainly no slouch. I would not worry about the power difference either...

With a power rating approximately half of what the Pio had stated, on the speakers we used we couldn't really tell. The Pio was a lot bigger and slightly heavier but that didn't stop the H/K from sounding just as good at low-levels and (in our opinion) better once the volume really got up there. The 1015TX started to sound a little "congested" when the volume was very high, but the H/K showed no signs of that. In fact the H/K remained quite clean/clear through its entire volume range; while the Pio was very good in that respect as well we both though the H/K had better sound quality overall.

If it hadn't been for the foolish remote, the ~$100 price difference, and the MCACC of the Pio, he definitely would have taken the H/K. Since he'd figure he'd have to buy another remote (like a Harmony) to use with the H/K receiver, the additional cost just didn't make it worth it.

My friend likened the difference of the receivers to cars (LOL), stating the Pio was like an high-end Acura and the H/K like a high-end Mercedes--both very good but the Mercedes being a little bit more prestigious. I thought that was kind of an odd analogy though because truth be told, the Pio looked a lot more classy than the plasticy H/K!

Since I mentioned the STR-DA4ES at the beginning, I might as well add that the DA4ES trumped both the 1015TX and the 235 without a doubt--I guess it would be the BMW of the group, LOL. Given it is in a slightly higher class of receiver but since I purchased it in the US, the price was in the same range (actually it was cheaper!) than the CDN prices of the 1015TX and AVR-235; so in some way it was a fair comparo.

13. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Roland,

Thanks for your great wrap-up of all 3 receivers. I can essentially agree completely with your findings. The basic H/K remotes are just that ... basic. When it comes to sound, the H/K, to my ears, just did better with music. I could hear slightly better separation in stereo and more clarity with the instruments, too. Pioneer's strong-hold has been in movies - IMO. But, putting the H/K on the shelf, meant that it performed very well in this area, too.

People should never worry about the H/K power levels. Again, in my experience, H/K can deliver. I've often achieved levels that I find very comfortable to listen at - and there's still a lot of room to go, power-wise.

Finally, thanks for taking the time to test the Sony STR-DA4ES out, too. It still sounds like a very good performer - if not, still the best. Sadly, I didn't have good enough gear (CD player, DVD player, speakers) a few years back when I owned the 4ES. I sold it for a song, literally. I wish I still had that beast to put on the shelf and try out one more time, with what I own now.

Thanks again for the review. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

When I was working at the Fry's here in town, the H/K rep made a big deal of the fact that the harman-kardon recievers are capable of delivering their full rated power simultaneously on all channels. That's probably the reason for the lower wattage: H/K is not feeding you any B/S.

15. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Rory Buszka:

The rep was right.

My '75 watts' on my 635 is absolutly unreal. I could WELD with this thing. Also, the sound quality is fantastic.

16. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

If you've seen the test's in S&V, you'd see the Pioneers are the same...the 52x (same as my 1014) put out 115Wx5! (measured at the same time!) Even the much lighter weight (20lbs) 815 put out 90W+x5!

If your into insane levels of music and especially movies (I am!) (and DTS/DD movies can use a ton of power!) then the Pioneer's have an edge. To me though more importantly the MCCAC makes the deal. It is unreal IMO. My Sub sits 13.5' from me (SVS 20-39pci), MCCAC put it at 16'..which is sonic wise more accurate since the bass bounces off the corner. The timing between that and my JBL studio's is seemless.

17. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

I have the Pioneer 1015 and Klipsch F3/C3/S3 and KSW-12 sub.

The whole thing sounds fabulous in my 13 X 23 foot cathedral ceilinged room. Not too bright, but crystal clear and very good at the high end as well as the mid and low end.

I play a wide mix of audio and video sources in both 5 channel modes, two channel stereo etc. Love all the features of the Pioneer.

The MCACC is what really does wonders for me.. it is so easy and you can tweak it if you like, but I always end up going back to the standard MCACC auto settings.

I'm sure the H/K is a great unit too.

I did have a problem where the Pioneer 1014 wasn't even turned on during a lightning storm, and my house took a hit and the the Pio wouldn't power on after that. Took it back to BB and they replaced it after sending it out to their Cleveland center for repair and it came back as "not repairable".. they gave me a 1015. They are the same, but the 1015 has a blue light.

You'll appreciate the Pioneer if you make that choice.

let us know.