Pioneer 1014 users...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by LloydM, Feb 3, 2005.

1. LloydM

LloydM Agent

When you setup your speakers for reference level, do you:

a) Just use the recievers built in setup?

b) Use Avia and a Radio Shack SPL meter?

I initially setup the speakers by using the built in setup of the receiver. In which I assumed that the reference level was going to be '0'. However, when I used the Avia setup disc, I had to significantly lower db gains on each speaker to use '0' as reference level. Along with that, is there any way to change the gain to each speaker without having to pull the recievers setup system onto the display? This would cause the Avia disc to stop playing the audio tones and the receiver would start playing its own tones. This made it very time consuming to use Avia to set the reference level at 85db.

Lloyd

2. joseFMJ

joseFMJ Stunt Coordinator

Try making note of the all the levels in one pass, then go into menu and adjust all the speakers at one time, restart the Avia disc...make some more notes...back into menu, adjust all at the same time...run disc...should not take more than 3-4cycles to get them all in one line.
    On the 1014 the speaker levels are accessible directly via the EFFECT/CH SEL button, and adjustable with the SLEEP/- and DIALOG E/+.
    I just use the built in tones, and tweek the sub and surrounds a smitten (+.5 to +1.)by ear.

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I use the receiver's "Auto Set-up" then afterwards tweak it with a SPL meter. After it does it's thing I find all speakers to be within 2dB of each other. I use the "Manual" setting and a SPL meter to bring them spot on.

Generally I lower the hot ones rather than raise the low ones. I find on my 1014 has a tendency to set it a bit hot anyway. I set all channels to 75dB and Sub to 80dB. . .

Works great for me. I typically watch movies at -20. The loudest I might go (depending on the DVD as some are hotter than others) to -10. . . "0" is in the KILL zone, way too loud on most DVDs. -20 will tickle your innards under normal circumstances.

My speakers are all JBL towers (new) with the PB12-Plus/2 subwoofer.

My plan is to replace the 1014 with a VSX56TXi but after listening to the 1014 I am in no hurry. . .

4. LloydM

LloydM Agent

Awesome! Thanks.