Pioneer 1014 setup help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JoeyR, Feb 16, 2005.

1. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    As I continue my home theater odyssey, when I go to hook everything up what are the best cables to use, digital, coax, Ive searched threads and the faqs but want advice from people running the equipment, I want to hook up best case scenario if I can

2. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

well it all depends what you have. What kind of dvd player, what kind of tv. What kind of options do you have.
    Cause the 'best' cables won't help you if your current hardware(tv, dvd) doesnt support them.

3. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

The Primer FAQ on this site has a thread that lists the audio/video connections in order of quality. Use the best one that your equipment supports. For DVD, you will most likely use component for video and digital (coax or optical) for audio.

4. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

You could very easily spend as much on interconnects as you spent for your whole system. There seems to be no limit to the dollars charged for speaker cables--some of them thousands of dollars. Buy some decent cables for component video and audio RCA coax cables. Optical digital audio cables can also be had for a reasonable cost.

You can always upgrade to expenisive interconnects at a later date if you are so moved. Do yourself a favor, though--try comparing two different quality cables in your own system. If you actually see or hear improvements with the expensive ones, buy them. If not, save your money!!

5. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    I went through the faq page and couldnt find the cable thread for some odd reason, I have read it a while back but couldnt come back across it.

To MikeGee I dont have a HDTV but I do have a 27" JVC thats 3 months old with all connections, 5 disc JVC FA-900BK(I believe off the top of my head) DVD Player bought Christmas before last(DTS decoder built in), a Playstation 2, A Xbox, and a Mitsubishi VCR which Im thinking of retiring so I can have space for my receiver.

6. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Also in asking what cables this is my first HT setup, Im not looking for 100 dollar cables but more along the line of what cable to use to hook up say DVD audio to 1014, optical, coax, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

7. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Use a coax for your DVD audio if it has a coax audio out. Most agree it yields the same result as optical--and the cable is cheaper. For Dolby Digital 5.1 devices you may purchase in the future, however, such as Direct TV, cable, or Dish Network receivers, you will need the optical cables. Parts Express has them for less than $5. each.